Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New member from Oregon, stationed in Cali

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Chemosabe23
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New member from Oregon, stationed in Cali

Post by Chemosabe23 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Hello, I am a 12 year active duty US Navy Seabee and 6 year Cancer survivor (hence the CHEMO in Chemosabe) and first time Henry owner. I bought my Long Ranger 308 w/sights last week while on leave. We just returned from a 6 month deployment so it was my "welcome home" gift to myself. I have a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 I am looking to mount on it. I know Henry makes a scope mount for the long ranger but it will block my view of the iron sights if I have it installed. I've been to the Skinner sights website and seen what they offer. I guess what I'm looking for is advice? Am I hoping for too much? Should I just get the Henry mount? Has anyone had a similar dilemma?
1 x
US Navy Seabees
Construimus Batuimus "We build, We fight"
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a bit longer.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: New member from Oregon, stationed in Cali

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. Thank you for your service and thank God for having survived cancer. I know what that fight is like.

Many of us grapple with sights. I'm sure you'll get some good advice. I installed a Skinner receiver peep on my BBB and love it.
Chemosabe23 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:42 pm
Hello, I am a 12 year active duty US Navy Seabee and 6 year Cancer survivor (hence the CHEMO in Chemosabe) and first time Henry owner. I bought my Long Ranger 308 w/sights last week while on leave. We just returned from a 6 month deployment so it was my "welcome home" gift to myself. I have a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 I am looking to mount on it. I know Henry makes a scope mount for the long ranger but it will block my view of the iron sights if I have it installed. I've been to the Skinner sights website and seen what they offer. I guess what I'm looking for is advice? Am I hoping for too much? Should I just get the Henry mount? Has anyone had a similar dilemma?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 pm

KCMO.jpg

Welcome from the Show-Me-State.

First, wonderful to hear the good news that you are a 6-year cancer survivor. That's great.
And also, thanks for your service, Navy. I'm sure some other Navy will "surface" to greet you, too.

There are several 308 owners here, and soon you'll be getting some good advice. Best in your search for the perfect-fitting Henry sight mods.

PT7

Chemosabe23 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:42 pm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu May 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Welcome from a Vet in Wickiup Junction, Oregon!
0 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Thu May 09, 2019 7:27 pm

I have the .308 Long Ranger, but without sights. I did mount a Diamondback Tactical 3-9X40 on it. It fits quite nice. I used Talley lightweight 1 piece
mounts available from Henry. I imagine you can probably find see through mounts so you can use the scope and iron sights, but you may need to get some sort of cheek riser to keep a good "cheek weld" on both. My brother has that type of mount on his Winchester 30-30. Not my favorite thing. That's why I purchased the Long Ranger with no sights. This rifle is only going to be used with a scope.
0 x

Pudsky
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Pudsky » Thu May 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Oh, and Welcome!! This is quite a nice site.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu May 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Glad you're here!
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Welcome aboard Seabee. My last battalion was 133 I retired in December 1993. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Big welcome Chemosabe from Western North Carolina! As others have said, thank you for your service!! Congratulations on being a survivor!
FWIW, I put the Talley lightweight one piece on my BBS 357 and like it a lot. Granted, no iron sight picture anymore, but that's ok by me. At least I didn't have to remove the SBH for scope clearance. Good luck whatever you decide to do and congrats also on your new Henry. I know you will love it!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 pm

welcome indeed .... delighted to have you join us .... looking forward to following your range and use reports .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 749#p94749
0 x