Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Henry owner from Western AR

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
ozarkhunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New Henry owner from Western AR

Post by ozarkhunter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:49 am

After admiring and fondling Henry rifles in stores, I finally made the decision to buy my first Henry rifle, a Big Boy steel carbine in .44 magnum. I picked up the rifle in early December on a Wednesday and sighted in on Saturday. After reviewing trail camera pictures from a piece of land I hunt in Northwest AR, I told my wife I would like to hunt Sunday AM. I assured her that I would be back in time to shower and get ready for church.
I had only doe tags left, and had 3 doe show up prior to daylight. I only have the stock semi-buckhorn sights and could only see their silhouette inside my blind. Watching the 3 deer in front of me as the woods began to take on shades of color, one of the deer raised her head. I could tell by the shape of her head that she was an adult doe and not a yearling. At around 6:55, the deer had been there for at least 15 minutes and I couldn't take it any longer. I got the best silhouette of my sights, knowing the front bead had to be deep in the notch of the rear sight (which was nearly bottomed out to sight at 50 yards). I then moved the rifle to super impose the sight picture over the broadside doe at 35 yards...

Shot was a bit high and a bit back, but a very effective "bang/flop" kill. The doe was dressed out and dropped off at the processor in time to get home, shower and stretch out for nearly an hour before time to wake my wife and get ready for church.

I can't wait to put my new Henry to work on some feral hogs! I have a feeling my other rifles are going to see some neglect in the days/years ahead.
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New Henry owner from Western AR

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:08 pm

outstanding .... truly outstanding .... our BBS 44 Mag is one of my favorites .... looking forward to your future range and hunting reports .... feel free to jump into ongoing conversations as well to start new ones .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your 44 to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 996#p82996
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm

Lol. Sounds like a good morning. I know that feeling of 'not enough light '. Well done.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:39 pm

For your first Forum post, that was a treat to tag along with you on your deer hunt.
And congrats on your first Henry rifle!

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Ozarkhunter. Enjoy your "hunts" through the Forum chats.
PT7
KCMO.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:44 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. Congratulations on the new Henry and the harvest. Thanks for joining the conversation. Unfortunately, the photo didn't post because the Bushcraft USA forum requires an account login to view that content.
ozarkhunter wrote:After admiring and fondling Henry rifles in stores, I finally made the decision to buy my first Henry rifle, a Big Boy steel carbine in .44 magnum. ... I got the best silhouette of my sights, knowing the front bead had to be deep in the notch of the rear sight (which was nearly bottomed out to sight at 50 yards). I then moved the rifle to super impose the sight picture over the broadside doe at 35 yards...Shot was a bit high and a bit back, but a very effective "bang/flop" kill. The doe was dressed out and dropped off at the processor in time to get home, shower and stretch out for nearly an hour before time to wake my wife and get ready for church.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ozarkhunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ozarkhunter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:12 pm

PT7 wrote:For your first Forum post, that was a treat to tag along with you on your deer hunt.
And congrats on your first Henry rifle!

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Ozarkhunter. Enjoy your "hunts" through the Forum chats.
PT7

KCMO.jpg

Thanks! I grew up (left at age 12) in Independence, MO. Moved to AR in 1979.
1 x

ozarkhunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ozarkhunter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:18 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:Welcome to the forum from CT. Congratulations on the new Henry and the harvest. Thanks for joining the conversation. Unfortunately, the photo didn't post because the Bushcraft USA forum requires an account login to view that content.
ozarkhunter wrote:After admiring and fondling Henry rifles in stores, I finally made the decision to buy my first Henry rifle, a Big Boy steel carbine in .44 magnum. ... I got the best silhouette of my sights, knowing the front bead had to be deep in the notch of the rear sight (which was nearly bottomed out to sight at 50 yards). I then moved the rifle to super impose the sight picture over the broadside doe at 35 yards...Shot was a bit high and a bit back, but a very effective "bang/flop" kill. The doe was dressed out and dropped off at the processor in time to get home, shower and stretch out for nearly an hour before time to wake my wife and get ready for church.
Sorry about the photo link. Any way here to upload from desktop?

Try this...

Uploaded to facebook and saved the image address... Where there's a will, there's a way!
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:23 pm

welcome!
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:42 pm

ozarkhunter wrote: Any way here to upload from desktop? ... Where there's a will, there's a way!
Yes. Select the Full Editor and Preview option. You'll see a tab at the bottom of the screen called Attachments. Click it. Upload your photo. When you select to 'place inline', it will be inserted at the place in the message where your cursor is located. Choosing to add a comment, gives it a caption.

That's a great photo. We love pictures here. Thanks.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:44 pm

Great story, and harvest. Best part....you kept the wife happy also :D ...by the way, welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina!!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry