Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New from Nova Scotia

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
eastriver
Tenderfoot
Canada

New from Nova Scotia

Post by eastriver » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 am

Got my first ever Henry yesterday in the mail. Have been around firearms since the early 60's. 25 years in the Navy, then 17 as a Commissionaire (security guard). Last 33 as a Firearms/Hunter Safety Instructor.

Couldn't stand it any longer, had to try a Mares Leg in 22WMR. ( I have another ML from a different company in 357). OMG I noticed immediately that the new one was far superior in quality! Nowhere was this more apparent than when I first dry fired it. This one is going to be some smooth to shoot.
Mounted a Williams receiver peep sight on it. My intention is to carry it on my ATV for "close-in" work. (Have a CZ455 WMR for longer stuff.)

Question" The stock is beautiful, but seems awful bare. I think I should put something on it. Any suggestions? I have Birchwood Casey Tru-oil, but am open to ideas. TIA
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: New from Nova Scotia

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:02 am

Welcome to the forum from Kansas CIty (+/-)! Glad you're here and fascinated that you can get Henry in Canada through the mail!

As far as the stock finish, I'm not real clear on what you're trying to accomplish or what you mean by "bare," but many here swear by Renaissance Wax as a protectant/enhancer, while others use something as simple as "Lemon Pledge" out of an aerosol can. I'm a fan of Balllistol on the insides and outsides of most of my firearms, but there are numerous threads here that might help.

Otherwise, that factory finish is pretty tough!

Welcome again, and thank you for your service up North!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:03 am

welcome indeed .... delighted to have you join our forum .... good to hear your initial impressions of your Henry .... looking forward to following your reports as you become more familiar with it .... also, feel free to read and post often, jump right in with questions and comments .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add it to our community's total

[b][color=#8000FF]http://henryrifleforu ... color][/b]
0 x

eastriver
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by eastriver » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:18 am

Tnx for the welcomes. Whatever Henry has put on their stock must be very tough as it seems so thin. My brain tells me that they certainly must have put something. Probably a wax of some sort would be good to put on because it wouldn't clash with whatever is already there. I like Ballistol myself (GF hates the smell of it).

ESquared - Here in Canuck Land, once we have our PAL, or RPAL, (Possession and Acquisition License/ Restricted PAL) we can order on-line. I have ordered Restricted on-line. No problem whatsoever. (Boggles the GF's mind)
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:21 am

eastriver wrote:Got my first ever Henry yesterday in the mail.

Question" The stock is beautiful, but seems awful bare. I think I should put something on it. Any suggestions? I have Birchwood Casey Tru-oil, but am open to ideas. TIA
Welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us. As ESquared said, Renaissance Wax is very popular, but so is Ballistol and either one will make that Mares Leg look great. I would avoid dry firing it, though. Henry strongly advises against it for their rimfires.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

eastriver
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by eastriver » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:38 am

Tnx for the reminder CT_Shooter about the dry-firing. Just had to try the trigger! My Other Mares Leg badly needed some trigger work, this one DOES NOT. Off to the city to find some 22 Mag. Hoping to find some good 40 Gr HP stuff.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:09 am

Welcome eastriver, from Western North Carolina!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:33 am

Welcome from the Land of Sugar!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:56 am

Welcome from the Show-Me-State, Eastriver.
KCMO.jpg
Congrats on your Henry ML purchase. Will be most interested if/whenever you post some Range Reports. Mostly what I've read and heard is that the ML config is somewhat challenging to get good sight acquisition. I've never shot one, but they are a cool-looking firearm. Of course, Henry's guns are quality-made!

Enjoy your time on the Forum.
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:57 am

Hello .... welcome to the Forum from Runcorn, UK.
0 x