Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Member SoCal/MN

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
msnden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New Member SoCal/MN

Post by msnden » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:31 am

Hi, I just found the site after my son purchased a .308. & I am planning a purchase. I am a retired person who spent his life hunting, fishing, camping, motorcycling and hiking, I don't hunt much anymore but I still Motorcycle, camp & hike, spending more time in CA I have discovered "Rimfire" shooting and spend some time at the range, being CA is so gun unfriendly I left most of my guns in MN. our property here is literally overrun with coyotes,(I just lost another dog) & although I have given up hunting I would like to thin the pack and I am interested in a Henry rifle. I have been bouncing around the site for a few days and see a lot of knowledge here, I am here to learn, & hope I can contribute a little. msn
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: New Member SoCal/MN

Post by Mistered » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:06 am

In your first post you were asking about the Henry single shot rifles - you got something different in mind now?
I would like to thin out some of these coyotes & a single shot .243 imop would be a good way to start
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:43 am

I saw your other post about single shots, and I wouldn't hesitate and be put off by the noise you might be hearing about quality issues. The fact is, Henry will stand behind whatever you buy, and if you encounter a performance, materials or workmanship issue, Henry will make it right. I understand the concerns about moving firearms back and forth to/from California, so you may want to seek one out at retail vs. buying online, but here's a fairly representative sample of the 243 Single shot:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/794759577
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

msnden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by msnden » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 am

No, but I didn't want to confuse or tie two post together, I already had one post removed because of that. Yes, a Henry .243 is what I am after! I don't have a .243 & I think it is a great round. I had considered a .233 but the .243 can be used on these desert deer, I know I said hunting was in my rear view mirror but hay "Never say Never" Den
1 x

msnden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by msnden » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:10 am

ESquared wrote:I saw your other post about single shots, and I wouldn't hesitate and be put off by the noise you might be hearing about quality issues. The fact is, Henry will stand behind whatever you buy, and if you encounter a performance, materials or workmanship issue, Henry will make it right. I understand the concerns about moving firearms back and forth to/from California, so you may want to seek one out at retail vs. buying online, but here's a fairly representative sample of the 243 Single shot:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/794759577
Thanks, That is a great price!!, Purchasing a gun in CA is a real experience!! something a person has to experience to believe: I have purchased two since arriving, it would be great to purchase through brokers such as "gunbroker" (I am not really sure how it would work, I don't think the CA laws would permit it. although I will check. ) the law here has even changed for ammo, although it hasn't been implemented yet the law has been passed to require back ground checks for the purchase of ammo, there are no on-line sales, given all that from my observance gun sales are brisk, but I see little relief from the manufactures suggested price. I tried to get a dealer here to get me a rifle through Buds Gunshop but he wouldn't do it, he didn't give a reason but I think he makes more money by going through his own suppler, Thanks for taking the time to post that!!!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:31 am

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join us .... the recommendations and information you've received are sound .... looking forward to following your search ... if you already own a Henry or when you do so, please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add them to our community's total .... we are well on our way to 1,000 ... :D

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 339#p79339
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:05 am

msnden wrote:Thanks, That is a great price!!, Purchasing a gun in CA is a real experience!! something a person has to experience to believe: I have purchased two since arriving, it would be great to purchase through brokers such as "gunbroker" (I am not really sure how it would work, I don't think the CA laws would permit it. although I will check. ) the law here has even changed for ammo, although it hasn't been implemented yet the law has been passed to require back ground checks for the purchase of ammo, there are no on-line sales, given all that from my observance gun sales are brisk, but I see little relief from the manufactures suggested price. I tried to get a dealer here to get me a rifle through Buds Gunshop but he wouldn't do it, he didn't give a reason but I think he makes more money by going through his own suppler, Thanks for taking the time to post that!!!
Yes, the challenges (!) of California are well documented. I guess it's just a matter of seeing what's available at retail in the market where you live and/or what a dealer can/will order for you. Please keep us posted on your search and its outcome!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:27 am

it would be great to purchase through brokers such as "gunbroker" (I am not really sure how it would work, I don't think the CA laws would permit it.
I would think as long as you have an FFL who agrees to facilitate the transfer and it is not on the California 'roster' of prohibited firearms that should be about it but definitely check with a reputable FFL on this.
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:18 pm

Welcome to the forum! What part of California are you in? .243 is a great deer and varmint cartridge. That said, give a read to the info below as it is a great article on coyote populations. The interesting part of it is, that the more coyotes you kill, the more the size of their litters increase, and you actually end up with a higher population in the end. Where I live, the wolf population is exploding and putting huge strains on deer and other ungulates. I personally don’t bother shooting random coyotes anymore, but if one was attacking one of my dogs or horses etc, I’d be making an exception to that rule in a hurry.

https://www.themeateater.com/conservati ... deer-herds

As was said before, if you are worried about the odd quality issue, you will have trouble with most firearm brands these days. At least Henry will bend over backwards to make you happy, and pretty much with a “no questions asked” type of service. If you aren’t happy, they will MAKE you happy!
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Welcome to the forum. We have several members here that live in Cal. They do own Henrys. Maybe one of them will chime in here and have a suggestion that could help you out for purchasing one out there or online.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55