Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H009 and Scopes/Mounts

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
lovesleverguns
Tenderfoot
United States of America

H009 and Scopes/Mounts

Post by lovesleverguns » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi from NC and this is my first post. Recently purchased a H009 Steel and all was good until moving back to the 100 yard bench. My 60yo eyes just aren't cooperating so I'm considering adding a scope. After some preliminary research it seems that a Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5 4x-20 and the Talley mount/rings sold on Henry's website may be a good set-up. I'd like some opinions on this plus the mounts come in 'low' and 'medium'. I realize this is the height but how does one determine which? I wear progressive lens glasses so unsure how this may play into it as well.

I'm also considering a Skinner peep sight but unsure of this would give me the clarity I'm looking for and then would have to change out the front sight.

Thanks in advance for any advice and looking forward to being a member! Mike
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: H009 and Scopes/Mounts

Post by PT7 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:08 pm

_WELCOME!_.jpg
...and Greetings from the Show-Me-State, Mike.

A Henry H009 steel is a great choice...the "traditional" whitetail deer rifle.
There will be Folk along to point you to scope choices. Enjoy your time on the Forum.
lovesleverguns wrote:Hi from NC and this is my first post. Recently purchased a H009 Steel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:39 pm

I put the VX Freedom you're considering on my BBS 357 and it's good out to 100 yards, and would be fine with a 30-30. For the 357, I used the one-piece mount that Henry offers for the BBS line.

If you're wanting to go past 100 yds, you may consider the VX Freedom 2-7X32, which is what I put on my 30-30 CCH. I also used the Talley rings from the Henry sight, and went with the Medium height, which is plenty for either of these scopes on that receiver set-up. It's been fantastic for me up to 200yds+, and I'm in the camp of preferring "too much" scope vs. too little on a bigger bore like yours.

For the money, the VX Freedoms are really fine optics, in my unseasoned opinion, but they're also endorsed by others here with more stripes than I have!

I've also had the Skinners on my 357, but, for my 60 y/o eyes, it just wasn't working for me past about 50 yards, at least not with the accuracy I am wanting.

And WELCOME to the forum, last but not least. Scour the "SCOPES" and "SIGHTS" sub-forums for lots of interesting reading. I've found that scopes are like lubes, cleaners, ammo and re-loading recipes: everyone has their favorites!

Here are a couple of pics, just to give you an idea...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:55 pm

welcome indeed, happy to have you join our forum .... like so many other products, choosing a rifle scope is very much a matter of personal preference .... there are several good companies out there offering reasonably priced optics .... I'm a Nikon fan .... as to power, its good to match the maximum range you plan to shoot with the power of the scope to be used .... a 30-30 is an excellent 100 yard caliber .... in skilled hands it is fully capable out to a couple of hundred yards .... for out to 200 yards I like a 2X12 or even a higher power .... for 100 yards, a 3X9

please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 644#p74644
0 x

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Welcome aboard.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:17 pm

lovesleverguns wrote:Hi from NC and this is my first post.
Welcome to the forum from CT. A Skinner peep is very helpful for my old eyes.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Welcome to the forum. That 20mm objective Leupold calls for a low mount. All to the good when you can keep the scope low to the receiver on a lever gun. Have that very same scope on several guns, now, and highly recommend it. Clarity and resolution are excellent. Will definitely be superior to a peep in terms of target visibility. Don't worry about the progressive lenses in the least. Been using them with scopes for many years, now. Not an issue.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Welcome!
0 x

lovesleverguns
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by lovesleverguns » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Many thanks for the relies so far! Very helpful.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon!

I gave open sights a try, but also my older eyes lead me to a scope.

I have the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 on my H009B. Picture of it here on an older post.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... gle#p69783

My entire scope setup is in this older post. Buying from Amazon was way less expensive, than elsewhere.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... zon#p66918

I also have progressive eye glass lenses and have no issues with the scope, because of them.

Ring heights vary some by manufacturer, just so, use of words low, medium, high to describe ring height are ambiguous. This website puts numbers behind those words.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... e-ring-low
lovesleverguns wrote:Hi from NC and this is my first post. Recently purchased a H009 Steel and all was good until moving back to the 100 yard bench. My 60yo eyes just aren't cooperating so I'm considering adding a scope. .....
Last edited by Mags on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234