Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another Newbie

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
ihatechicago
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Another Newbie

Post by ihatechicago » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm in my early 60's,retired, and recently widowed. I've taken back up my love for firearms after a 20 year lapse. I've been a Ruger fan until my introduction to Henry's. I recently purchased a H014. I currently own Ruger LC9S, LCP2, SR22, American Rimfire in 22 WMR, NAA 22WMR mini revolver, and my new H014. I also have both of my original 22's from when I was about 10 yrs old. A Ted Williams 22lr semi-auto and Ithaca lever action single shot 22lr. Please excuse my user name but if you live in downstate Illinois and like guns you'll understand my choice!!!
0 x
Long Ranger .243
Ruger American 22wmr
Ted Williams 22lr
Ithaca 22lr
Ruger LC9S
Ruger LCP2
Ruger SR 22
Savage 17hmr
NAA 22wmr

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Another Newbie

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon. Long Ranger is on my wish list. Once you have it in hand and have taken it to range, I would be very interested in your impression and performance evaluation of it.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:47 pm

ihatechicago wrote:I'm in my early 60's,retired, and recently widowed.
Welcome to the forum from CT. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm also retired, in my sixties, and recently widowed, so I know full well what that means. This is a great forum, with good folks who know their stuff and are very willing to share what they know. You'll enjoy the company.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:53 pm

Welcome from Colorado. Hope you enjoy the forum as CT said this is a great forum.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Welcome from Alberta.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Welcome to the forum from KC! Sorry to hear about your loss. You will find good company here, no doubt about it!

I just acquired a Long Ranger (.308), so we should compare notes! So far, my impression is "Wow!"
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ihatechicago
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ihatechicago » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Thank all of you for the welcome! I can't wait to get some time behind a product of this historical company. I've always had a thing for lever guns.
1 x
Long Ranger .243
Ruger American 22wmr
Ted Williams 22lr
Ithaca 22lr
Ruger LC9S
Ruger LCP2
Ruger SR 22
Savage 17hmr
NAA 22wmr

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:37 pm

_WELCOME!_.jpg
From the Show-Me-State, greetings to the HRF. Sure you'll enjoy the chats here, and certain you'll like your H014.

I'm very sorry to hear about your recent loss. I'm 70, retired, and my wife of almost 34 years died in July 2017. So I know just where you're at this time in life's journey. Glad you found our Forum because there are a lot of good folk here. Quite a few expressed well wishes when I went through that tough summer last year. Hope things are going ok for you now.

Interesting moniker -- "ihatechicago." I've been out-of-town for my nephew's wedding in southern WI, and just returned home a few hours ago. Also spent a lot of time visiting friends and family in northern IL also, just north of Chicago. That is home state for my wife & I, but like you, I very much disliked living there. Retired 6 years ago from my job in that same area, and moved to KCMO to be a f/t caregiver for my wife. I have two daughters living near me, and there were a great help caring for Mama. I don't ever plan to live in IL again, if at all possible.

So your moniker is okay by me! ;) Driving in the Chicago area this weekend was absolute craziness. And yes, with the great MO gun laws/regulations, and support of the shooting sports by the MO Dept of Conservation & state agencies, I'm very pleased to be in this state now. It has made my firearms hobby, and hunting opportunities, quite easy and pleasant. It's hard to believe the differences between the states. So MO is just fine for me.

BTW, where are you at in southern IL? I lived for a number of years in Herrin and Marion, also attended one year of u.g. school at SIU in Carbondale. Still have some family down in that area, too. Just curious where you are at, being a former Illinoisan.

OK. Time to end my note, IHC. Enjoy your time on the Henry Forum! :)
PT7

ihatechicago wrote:I'm in my early 60's,retired, and recently widowed. I've taken back up my love for firearms after a 20 year lapse. I've been a Ruger fan until my introduction to Henry's. I recently purchased a H014. I currently own Ruger LC9S, LCP2, SR22, American Rimfire in 22 WMR, NAA 22WMR mini revolver, and my new H014. I also have both of my original 22's from when I was about 10 yrs old. A Ted Williams 22lr semi-auto and Ithaca lever action single shot 22lr. Please excuse my user name but if you live in downstate Illinois and like guns you'll understand my choice!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

ihatechicago
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ihatechicago » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks for your kind words. We were married 41 years. So it's been quite the transition. I live 30 miles north of Peoria so I'm more central Illinois. It's unbelievable the hoops Illinois makes a guy go thru to get a CCW here. And not cheap either! I guess they don't understand the phrase "Shall not infringe"!!!!!! Lol. I wouldn't live here either if my 2 children and grandchildren didn't live within one mile of me.
0 x
Long Ranger .243
Ruger American 22wmr
Ted Williams 22lr
Ithaca 22lr
Ruger LC9S
Ruger LCP2
Ruger SR 22
Savage 17hmr
NAA 22wmr

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Understood on wanting to live near family -- very important to be near those special ones. Like I said, I have two daughters nearby me now, but another one lives in northern IL, and our fourth daughter lives just south of Portland, OR. Other family relations mostly in IL.

Again interesting. Know exactly where you live, IHC. I was at my wife's sister & husband for those most-welcomed B&B visits while a person travels. Last Thursday night and just last night I stayed at their home in Bloomington, IL. In fact, I lived in Bloomington about 10 years, and met my wife there. Also finished up my u.g. degree at Illinois State University in Normal, IL. So know your neighborhood quite well.

What a small world! ;)
PT7
ihatechicago wrote:Thanks for your kind words. We were married 41 years. So it's been quite the transition. I live 30 miles north of Peoria so I'm more central Illinois. It's unbelievable the hoops Illinois makes a guy go thru to get a CCW here. And not cheap either! I guess they don't understand the phrase "Shall not infringe"!!!!!! Lol. I wouldn't live here either if my 2 children and grandchildren didn't live within one mile of me.
0 x

~Пока~