Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Just joined

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Just joined

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:36 am

Morning, y'all. I'm an old Marine (74 this year) that's been shooting for about 60 years, but just bought my first Henry this past Fri. The .41 mag BigBoy Steel Carbine, intending to bag a deer with it this season. Nice gun. Fired it some over the weekend and was very pleased with the performance. I'm in N.E. MS with enough property to shoot and hunt on so don't have the expense of hunting on public land, or paying range fees.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks off and on, and noticed a couple posts about the .41 mag ammo being hard to find, so I'll suggest Underwood for a supplier. I know that many folks reload, but I don't so I've been buying from this supplier for about 10 years to feed my Blackhawk, and have been very happy with them. I bought the Henry .41 specifically as a partner for the revolver.

Anyway, glad to be here. :)
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Just joined

Post by Cofisher » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:47 am

Welcome Gunny! I shoot the same rifle in 357. Sweet little shooters, huh? Scouting the areas here in Nebraska now for the local whitetails.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:00 am

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first Henry. As you've learned for yourself over the past several weeks, it's a great place, with lots of knowledgeable, kind folks.
Look forward to hearing how your Henry does during hunting season.
Best of luck and safe shooting!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:12 am

_WELCOME!_.jpg
Glad to have you on board, Gunny. You've just swelled the ranks of contented Henry rifle owners, plus another person with a new BB Carbine. I have a fairly new-to-me BBS in .357 Magnum, and the Carbines are great models. I'm sure the Blackhawk will partner well with your .41 magnum rifle. ;)

Very cool 8-) that you have "enough MS property to shoot and hunt" on. Nothing better. I enjoy visiting my son's-in-law and daughter's 20-acre spread in northern MO....also have hunted there and spent a lot of time shooting my firearms. The freedom you have on your own property is special.

Enjoy your Forum visits.
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:26 am

GunnyGene wrote:Morning, y'all. I'm an old Marine (74 this year) that's been shooting for about 60 years, but just bought my first Henry this past Fri. The .41 mag BigBoy Steel Carbine, intending to bag a deer with it this season. Nice gun.
Welcome to the forum from CT, GunnyGene. Glad you joined the conversation. I look forward to reading about your hunting season.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:04 am

Glad you joined Gene and thanks for your service. Another 41 mag nut here one of my favorite calibers. Im always glad to see another one with a 41 join and we have had quite a few with 41's come in here lately. Look forward to seeing some pictures or your area. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:49 am

Welcome! I think you will like it here. :)
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks for the welcoming words, y'all. I'll be around for a few more years. ;) I made one other post ( mostly to make sure I could post images) of the carbine on my weapons display. Looks nice there, so what was in that spot before will probably stay elsewhere. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:58 am

Welcome Gene. I’m new here as well, and it’s a great crowd! I’m looking too add a BBS Carbine in .357 soon.

Those of you that are in states where you HAVE to hunt deer with straight wall pistol cartridges, could you explain what the rationale is for it? I have a few ideas on it, but the govt regulators rarely use common sense in my experience.

I’m in an area where deer get very large, but we can use any centerfire cartridge to hunt them. There are a few spots where only shot is allowed (islands, or tight populated valleys).
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Redthies wrote:Welcome Gene. I’m new here as well, and it’s a great crowd! I’m looking too add a BBS Carbine in .357 soon.

Those of you that are in states where you HAVE to hunt deer with straight wall pistol cartridges, could you explain what the rationale is for it? I have a few ideas on it, but the govt regulators rarely use common sense in my experience.

I’m in an area where deer get very large, but we can use any centerfire cartridge to hunt them. There are a few spots where only shot is allowed (islands, or tight populated valleys).
I can only speak for myself. The longest clear shot I can take on my property, which is mostly dense forest, is a little over 100yds. So a pistol round (at least the 357 and up) have the range and terminal ballistics to git 'er done from a rifle, if I do my part. As for mulies vs. whitetail, if you hit the vitals a .357 or better is perfectly capable of taking either one. All we have here are whitetails, usually around 130lbs or so. In MS, there are no caliber restrictions for deer whatsoever, and I know people who have taken deer with a .22lr all the way up to 12gage slugs. Some of my kin and neighbors hunt with more traditional long guns, and sometimes with a revolver. All depends on how much land you have and how good of a shot you are. :)

Here's the estimated preliminary ballistics for the Underwood 210grn XTP .41mag out of a 16.5" barrel that I worked up a few days ago.

0 x