Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

hello from Colorado

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Discus420
Tenderfoot
United States of America

hello from Colorado

Post by Discus420 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 pm

I just got my first Henry and I am trying to learn all I can on this gun. Its a Navy Arms Henry that was made in the USA I tell people this and they laugh at me saying its made in Italy and was a Uberti. This has no Italian Proof marks nor does it say anything about Uberti or Italy Its a 44-40 with a 24.25" barrel its nice I really like it. I wish I knew more about it and also what its value is.

Here are some pics :

https://imgur.com/a/7LBNrNG
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: hello from Colorado

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 pm

_WELCOME!_.jpg
Very nice rifle you have there, Discus. When you dig up some interesting facts and/or history on it, do share it with us. Always interesting to get such background. Bunch of cool-looking photos, too.

Enjoy your time on the Forum.
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Welcome from Colorado. New Haven Arms made about 3000 Henrys here under the Navy Arms name. But I read that the ones made here had 2 screws that held on the side plates. The ones made by Uberti only had one like yours appears to have. Maybe someone else will chime in that knows alot more than I do. But your rifle looks good.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:53 pm

as best I can remember, some Navy Arms rifles were chambered for 44 wcf / 44-40 cal ... to check open the bolt .... if there is a hole in the center of the bolt face its center fire .... if it is a rim fire, the firing pin will be well off center,and will be rectangle in shape .... you have a modern made .44 Henry rim fire rifle .... they were among the first replicas offered in the 1960s .... the US government supposedly permitted their sale WITHOUT GCA68 paperwork as they were in the original caliber and as the .44 Henry rim fire had not been available in the commercial marketplace for fifty years ... the government then changed their mind and decided that as a cartridge gun, it would have to be papered .... Navy Arms then decided to make them in .44-40, to boost sales .... the .44-40 is a larger case than the .44 Henry rim fire, so you would need to do more than just get a new bolt. I would not do ANYTHING as it is probably worth far more just the way it is .... BATF has all the records for guns from the NJ factory that closed in 2002
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Those made in Italy are stamped:
"NAVY ARMS CO. RIDGEFIELD N.J. MADE IN ITALY”.

Also note screw pattern differences
Italy
madeinitaly.JPG
USA
sQbzX1x.jpg
AND, welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Discus420
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Discus420 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Mags wrote:Those made in Italy are stamped:
"NAVY ARMS CO. RIDGEFIELD N.J. MADE IN ITALY”.

Also note screw pattern differences
Italy
madeinitaly.JPG

USA
sQbzX1x.jpg

AND, welcome to the forum from the TV Oregon.
So I 'm not crazy this was born in the USA!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:11 pm

Nope your not crazy after a second look by myself its born in the USA I didnt look far enough in the pictures your provided
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Welcome from Wickiup Junction Oregon AND you have a VERY rare and valuable rifle - One of the early replica Henrys made by Val Forgett, the founder of Navy Arms. His is an interesting history and he (Val) is considered the 'father' of the modern replica firearms industry. Below is a good synopsis of the company.

The Henry Repeating Rifle is a very interesting weapon and one of the most outstanding weapons to come out of the Civil War. As with a lot of projects my book “The Henry Repeating Rifle” is an ongoing project where new and additional information surfaces. This additional information has surfaced since I originally wrote “The Henry Repeating rifle” back in 1992.
Today reproduction Henry rifles are made by Uberti in Italy and imported into the United States. As of this date they are the only company that manufacture the Henry rifle. However that was not the case back in the late 1970s and into the early 1980s. Navy Arms manufactured the first reproduction Henry rifles. These were manufactured in the United States, not Italy. These are truly American made Henry rifles as were the originals which were produced by the New Haven Arms Company which later became Winchester Firearms. In an e-mail dated June 7, 1999 Val Forgett, president and founder of Navy Arms, confirmed this to me stating “yes the first Henrys were made in the United States-manufacturing was then moved to Italy by Uberti.” Navy Arms produced a limited edition of 50 Henry rifles marked .44 RF. These Henrys had the correct two-prong firing pin and were rim fire. I have been able to look at one of these Henrys. The owner of this Henry purchased a center-fire bolt and replaced the rim fire bolt and began shooting his with .44-40 ammunition and blanks. There was also another limited edition of 500 Henry rifles as well as a limited edition of 1000 Henry carbines with a 22 inch barrel. All of these were chambered for the .44-40 cartridge. I have been told by others that there were a couple of other limited edition runs of Henrys by Navy Arms. Navy Arms manufactured Henrys likely number less than 3000. The Navy Arms Henrys are also different from the Uberti manufactured Henrys. The carriers will not interchange. The side plates of the Navy Arms Henry are held on by two screws while Uberti only uses one screw. The trigger spring on the Navy Arms is an internal two-prong trigger and safety spring while the Uberti Henry has an external trigger spring. The Navy Arms Henry does not have the magazine lock to prevent the magazine from just being twisted open and ruining the magazine spring. The Navy Arms Henry and the Uberti Henry are indeed two completely different guns. The cost of Henrys sure has skyrocketed. The current retail price, as of this writing, for an Uberti Henry is between $1100 and $1200. The retail price for the reproduction Henrys when they were first introduced by Navy Arms was $500.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:48 am

Welcome aboard, congrats on the rare beauty.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:36 am

Discus420 wrote:I just got my first Henry and I am trying to learn all I can on this gun.
Welcome to the forum from CT. Thanks for sharing your story and those great photos.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"