Old Guy, New Member from KC!

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Old Guy, New Member from KC!

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:11 pm

Greetings!
Have been a lurking member here for months, but just today placed an order on GunJoker for a BBS .357. Buddy of mine from H.S. has one and I shot it last summer. So nice, so easy to shoot and oozes quality!
So, excited to get mine in-hand.
Any tips on break-in processes, cleaning regimens, etc., would be welcome. I've been a side-arm shooter for many years, mainly Sig and 1911s, so I'm used to break-ins, field stripping and cleaning. I'm all ears on any tips and tricks.
Thanks in advance and look forward to getting to know some of you!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Old Guy, New Member from KC!

Post by Cofisher » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Glad you came out of the shadows. You are going to have fun! Welcome from Colorado. I shoot the carbine version of your 357. And love it. So smooth and very accurate.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:40 pm

Thank you, sir! I've wondered about the large loop lever. My paws are pretty big, so I'll have to see how the standard lever works out for me.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:37 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 pm

Welcome from northern Arizona! I'm rather big-handed myself but actually prefer the standard lever on my Big Boy Brass .357 -- the tight fit inside the loop makes it pretty easy for me to operate.

Cleaning regimens will be all over the map. Some are obsessed with cleaning, but I don't fall into that camp. Barring extraordinary circumstances, I don't even consider cleaning anything internal it at under 300 rounds and don't mind going past 500. I do wipe down the exterior with Ballistol after every use, however.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm very used to doing a field strip and clean of any gun before it first use, and I plan on doing that next week when this BBS shows up. From what I've read here, I'm good to go with my Hoppes No. 9 and Ballistol as the primary method. Have a proper sized bore snake coming, too. I'm pretty OCD about clean guns, but 100-200 rounds through a pistol in a range session is no big deal. Don't think I'll be doing that with the Henry, but you never know.

Any tips on sighting it in for the first time. My range has indoor, 50-yard lanes for rifles, but my 60 year old eyes will be challenged at that distance, I'm pretty sure. I've also read about the Skinner Peeps all over the place and might consider that as well, depending on how it goes with the standard factory set-up.

Looking forward to it!

Thanks for the warm welcomes so far!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 pm

_WELCOME!_.jpg
Greetings from the Show-Me-State!

All right, Neighbor! Is it KCMO or KCKS?

We have similar Henry BBS .357 rifles. My first .357 was the BBB with 20-inch octagon barrel. Smooth as silk and accurate. Had no problem with the standard lever, and I do have larger hands.

My current BBS is the .357 Carbine with the 16.5-inch barrel and large loop lever. I love this well-balanced and accurate Carbine. The large loop lever works fine for me, as well.

Since I've never been able to shoot using the buckhorn sight, I've had Skinner-one-type-or-another on all of my rifles. And never had an optic in place very long. Tried them, but most always went back to an iron sight system. My other Henry, the Small Game Carbine in .22LR, has the stock Skinner receiver-mounted peep, which is great for my elder eyes. I put the Skinner Express sight (receiver mount) on my Big Boy. Both are great to use.

I'm curious about your indoor range in KC. I know of only one with a 50-yard rifle range. Is that FJ? If so, I've been there.
Okay. You'll like the friendly and knowledgeable Folk on our Forum. Glad you showed up!
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Thanks, PT. I'm on the MO side, less than a mile from FJ. Been a member there almost since they opened. You've got quite the impressive Henry pedigree, I'm impressed.
Thanks for the tips on the Peeps. I'll just have to see how it goes, but I'm ready to switch if it makes that much of a difference.
Glad to see a neighbor here!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Hey, ESquared.

So you're in or near Lee's Summit where the MO FJ is located. I've shot a little more often at the KS location, near the Cabelas by the Legends. That FJ is a few miles or so closer to my place. I like yours because it has the 50-yard range distance. The KS one has a max distance of 25 yards. I've shot my .357 Henry mostly at my son's-in-law outdoor range at 40-50 yard steel targets. Lots of fun. But with the very hot spring & summer we've had this year, I've spent more time indoors at FJ. Whenever this weather settles down, hope to get outdoors more often. BTW, I've also been at our two MDC ranges ---- Parma Woods near me, and Lake City closer to you. I especially like the Lake City location.

Think about this. If you'd like to, we might get together sometime at FJ. It would be cool 8-) to meet up with another Henry Forum member and check out our Henrys! ;) Let me know what you think.

Take care....have a good weekend.
PT7

ESquared wrote:Thanks, PT. I'm on the MO side, less than a mile from FJ. Been a member there almost since they opened. You've got quite the impressive Henry pedigree, I'm impressed.
Thanks for the tips on the Peeps. I'll just have to see how it goes, but I'm ready to switch if it makes that much of a difference.
Glad to see a neighbor here!
2 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:33 pm

Welcome from Colorado and you will love a 357 in the levergun it dont get no better than that. Wish I was close enough to go shootin with PT
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55