Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New to Henry Rifles

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: New to Henry Rifles

Post by PT7 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:55 pm

I may have missed it, but I'm curious as to where are you living in the Pacific NW? I lived for a few years about 35 miles or so south of Portland in a smaller city named McMinnville. When in OR, I wasn't into hunting or firearms. But I've kept in touch with some friends there who are hunters, and most of them have harvested elk at times. They are also avid fishermen. I loved the attention many Oregonians pay to maintaining the environment....that state has many beautiful locales, just as does Washington State. So I do keep up on that state from time-to-time. My wife and I really enjoyed living in the Pacific NW.

It was also interesting that you said you've "taken down one very large nutria." I like to keep up on the wildlife issues in my home state of MO, and still do that at times for the happenings in OR. I read not long ago that nutria are pests, and causing problems both in rural and urban areas. One very brief comment from a watch organization is as follows:

Info published from the web site of the "Partnership for Coastal Watersheds."
Oregon Aquatic Nuisance Species Management Plan lists nutria as a management class 3 species, which means that nutria is well established in the state and that nutria are causing negative impacts throughout the state.
This org is not huge, but more of a locally-established community effort to help with environmental protection. It is located on the southern OR coast in Charleston, not too far from Coos Bay. My wife and I also enjoyed the central and southern OR coasts, and in fact camped one summer south of Charleston on the Bandon Dunes. Beautiful, pleasant coastal area, with great camping, lighthouses, and ocean vistas.

Anyway, it was interesting to read you've taken one of these nutria. How large was it? And are there many in your area? Finally, which firearm did you use?

Okay, enough questions for today. ;) Thanks for getting back on my earlier Qs.
PT7
Mags wrote:@PT7. We have Columbian White-tail here. Their population has been on edge, so hunting them is currently banned west of the cascade mtns except for special controller hunts and then only in very specific areas. Might hunt black tail though. So far taken down one very large nutria.
0 x

~Пока~

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:28 am

Hello Mags .... welcome to the Forum from Runcorn, UK! :D
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Located rural (forested) Tualatin Valley. Closer to Portland than McMinnville. Nutria are a prohibited non-native species, Oregon outlaws the importation, possession, exchange, purchase, sale, and transportation of the animal. Shooting nutria is legal outside city limits, and they can be humanely euthanized by both state ODFW and licensed private wildlife control officers. Live trapping though is hit or miss as one is just as likely to capture beaver or river otter. Even ducks. I take out one or more nutria a year. The most recent was about 2ft long and likely 20+ lbs. They damage stream banks, undermine roads and through irrigation ditches get into farm crops. Usually use a .22, but a .22 used on large nutria they die slow. Used the Henry on this latest one. No suffering.

Northern Oregon coast isn't one of my favorite places, usually cold (60s) and windy even in the summer. Can get into the 70s, but not often. Central Oregon coast (about Coosbay) and further south to Brookings the coast is much nicer weather and recreation and vistas.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your Henry.
0 x

Hitman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hitman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Welcome to the forum from Grassy Creek North Carolina.
0 x
Henry H004 Golden Boy
Henry H006 Big Boy 44
Henry H010B 45-70
NRA Benefactor Member

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:59 pm

Howdy from Alberta!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:28 pm

na
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:50 pm

Welcome from Colorado. I was born in Washington and raised in so Seattle.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Welcome from Wickiup Junction Oregon!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:51 pm

Got my one year gold star today!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One year ago today....
Mags wrote:Bought my first Henry rifle, the H009B .30-30. This brass beauty caught my eye and I couldn't resist. Love the way it feels when fired.
2 x