New Henry Addict

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: New Henry Addict

Post by PT7 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Cool emblem. 8-)

I might be able to shed some light on your comment, "I don't really understand why a Turkey emblem would be on a .22." It takes a little story. Since you're new to the Forum, ask anyone and they'll tell you I'm a most wordy character! :lol:

OK. I was introduced to Henry lever actions back in 2014 by my son-in-law. He had won an H001 at a NWTF get-together and raffle drawing in southern MO. He lent me the rifle to learn how to handle a lever-action, and I enjoyed it for about a year. The emblem used by NWTF, embedded in the stock, indicated it was in honor of veterans. My son-in-law is also a Marine vet. So I think the reason for the stock emblem in yours is that NWTF, and other organizations, buy Henrys and set "awards" or "honors" emblems in the stocks to present to folk.

Here are some photos of the NWTF H001 .22LR that I enjoyed shooting so much.
H001_NWTF_DSCN0381.jpg
H001_NWTF_DSCN0384.jpg
H001_NWTF_DSCN0383.jpg
A couple years later (early 2016), I entered another NWTF drawing for a Henry rifle. My son-in-law entered that one, too. No rifle for me either, but I did get a cool-looking knife with a beautiful wood handle from NWTF, just for entering the raffle. It also has the NWTF logo on the handle. I think the wood is really sharp-looking, and I've used it a lot for an EDC. The blade stays really finely sharp, as well. Couldn't have been happier with a freebie.

Sarge SK-60 folder with NWTF emblem and 3.5" 440 stainless steel blade in black.
DSCN1111.JPG
DSCN1112.JPG
I guess the NWTF just wants everyone to know who they are! ;)
cubsfan102003 wrote:PT7,

It's National Wild Turkey Federation. I didn't seek that out specifically, just wanted a GB and this was the first one that presented itself. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of that. I don't really understand why a Turkey emblem would be on a .22, but the quality and beauty of the rest of the gun allows me to forgive the extra stuff on it.

Thanks,
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Rustbelt wrote:If it becomes a problem, you can get the padded sleeve that slips over the stock. My friend put one on his 12 gauge and it made a world of difference.
those slip-on's can really make a positive difference .... :D
0 x

cubsfan102003
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cubsfan102003 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks PT7 for the info on the NWTF connection. Still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that a .22 would be the gun of choice for that emblem, I tend to think a shotgun would make much more sense. Either way though, it's still a beautiful gun that is fun to shoot. Thanks for sharing the pics of the one your son-in-laws rifle too. That's a nice one as well. The knife is pretty cool too.

JEBar, sorry I failed to answer your question earlier about the type of Big Game I hunt. As of now, strictly Whitetail. I'm in SE WI, and hunt in central WI. Someday I hope to try Black Bear hunting, but the population is just not good enough where I hunt. They're there, just not very prevalent. My grandfather has owned our land since the 1940's, and we've squirrel, rabbit, and deer hunted it every year since 1976, and visited at various times throughout the year just about every year since. In all those years, and all the guys that have come and gone hunting our land only two have been seen by any of our guys. I've seen dens, and scat, and even swear I heard one once, but have not yet seen one. Hopefully someday it will happen, for now though I'm happy with my annual Whitetail hunt. The only Black Bear I've heard of being taken near us was a 400 lb. beast by one of the neighbors 12 year old daughter 3 or 4 years ago.

As for the recoil on the 45-70, I'll see how it goes. I've got a 30-06 that punches me pretty hard, and after a box of shells I'm done with it for a few days. My friends 45-70 doesn't seem to have much more recoil than my .243. I'm sure that has to do with the pad and the type of loads he's got. If mine beats me up to bad, I'll figure something out. But I think I'll be okay. No intention of shooting any hot loads with it. Just factory plinking loads for now.

Thanks,
Tom
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Tom,

I'm all but certain that what is behind the choice of the Henry to have a NWTF emblem on it has nothing to do with the use of or function of the GB. The gun was selected simply because it is a great rifle, and a great gift for someone to receive. You're absolutely correct; a shotgun would be the gun more likely used to harvest a turkey, not a .22LR. Check out the Henry web page, https://www.henryusa.com/henry-corporate-editions/ which shows their Corporate Editions. You'll see all kinds of companies "advertised" or highlighted on the beautiful wood stocks of Henry rifles!

Change in focus for just a minute here. You wrote you are "in SE WI and hunt in central WI." I used to live in the very SE corner of WI, for a number of years in both Kenosha and Bristol. My sister used to live in central WI, in the small city of Reedsville near Appleton. Although I've not hunted in WI, I have vacationed there and taken along my 12ga shotgun (for slug shooting) and my SP101 .357 magnum revolver. Just did some fun shooting/plinking in a Reedsville corn field last visit I made there! Anyway, really liked WI and thought it always to be a GR8 ST8.

Enjoy your Henrys.
PT7
cubsfan102003 wrote:Thanks PT7 for the info on the NWTF connection. Still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that a .22 would be the gun of choice for that emblem, I tend to think a shotgun would make much more sense. Either way though, it's still a beautiful gun that is fun to shoot. Thanks for sharing the pics of the one your son-in-laws rifle too. That's a nice one as well. The knife is pretty cool too.

JEBar, sorry I failed to answer your question earlier about the type of Big Game I hunt. As of now, strictly Whitetail. I'm in SE WI, and hunt in central WI. Someday I hope to try Black Bear hunting, but the population is just not good enough where I hunt. They're there, just not very prevalent. My grandfather has owned our land since the 1940's, and we've squirrel, rabbit, and deer hunted it every year since 1976, and visited at various times throughout the year just about every year since. In all those years, and all the guys that have come and gone hunting our land only two have been seen by any of our guys. I've seen dens, and scat, and even swear I heard one once, but have not yet seen one. Hopefully someday it will happen, for now though I'm happy with my annual Whitetail hunt. The only Black Bear I've heard of being taken near us was a 400 lb. beast by one of the neighbors 12 year old daughter 3 or 4 years ago.

As for the recoil on the 45-70, I'll see how it goes. I've got a 30-06 that punches me pretty hard, and after a box of shells I'm done with it for a few days. My friends 45-70 doesn't seem to have much more recoil than my .243. I'm sure that has to do with the pad and the type of loads he's got. If mine beats me up to bad, I'll figure something out. But I think I'll be okay. No intention of shooting any hot loads with it. Just factory plinking loads for now.

Thanks,
Tom
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm

cubsfan102003 wrote:Someday I hope to try Black Bear hunting, but the population is just not good enough where I hunt.

Thanks,
Tom

my earliest big game hunting was in the 60's with my Grandfather's bear hunting on the north slope of Mt Mitchell in Western NC .... black bears were much more plentiful back then .... now days bears are more plentiful in the swamps of Eastern NC than they are in the mountains of Western NC .... I can personally attest to the effectiveness of 240 gr Nosler JHP's, 12 ga Winchester slugs and 150 gr 308 Nosler Partitions on them .... I wish I'd of owned my 45-70 back then, there can be no doubt that it would have been extremely effective
1 x