First Henry

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Gault
Tenderfoot
United States of America

First Henry

Post by Gault » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:15 pm

Long time shooter, first Henry.

I reloaded and shot center fire pistols and rifles for years, but age and arthritis are taking their toll. I started shooting a bunch of rimfire (CZ, Marlin), but I wanted something with a bit more authority that I could handle. I started researching and decided a decent 357 carbine might be a good solution. I have the dies and molds from my 38 special, which translate directly to loading 357. I got to looking at Henry and decided I would like to get a Big Boy X, but quickly found out they are hard to find. My first clue was looking on Gun Broker and seeing new ones (not many) for hundreds over MSRP and the few used ones seem to go for MSRP prices. Other calibers seem easier to find, but not 357. The first Henry "gold" dealer I tried said "Good luck" when I said I wanted to get one. The second dealer was a bit more polite, but still no more helpful in actually getting one. I tried a third gold dealer, small family LGS, and lo and behold they had one on the shelf and even offered at less than MSRP. I think I got lucky.

I am currently in the Colorado 3 day wait, I get to pick it up Wednesday. I have a Skinner low profile steel pic rail and an Athlon Mida LE red dot inbound for it.

Now I can start to work up some warm 38 special loads and 357 loads. I already have a 150 grain RN and a 158 grain RNFP mold, few hundred pounds of lead, and 2700 primers.
4 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: First Henry

Post by Vaquero » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:30 pm

Hello and welcome aboard from central W TN.
357 is a very fun round in a rifle.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Gault!! Glad you got one at a realistic price. It must vary by the part of country you're in because I got these two locally at well under MSRP. I've seen the listings of .357 Xmodels on GB for $1500+ and can't quite explain the gouging....the law of supply and demand I guess. In states with heavily restrictive gun laws people probably think the .357 X might be a perfect survival type gun. Low power .38's for edible small game and heavier .357's for home defense or big game. I really like the Streamlight TLR-1 HL on the rail. 1000 lumens does a good job.

I really like the Ranger Point quick takedown screw also. In about a half a minute the rifle is ready to be cleaned properly... IMO...from the breech end.

I've got a quite a few bullet molds for .357's but two of the best are also the cheapest....the Lee 125 gr. RF and Lee 158 gr. RF. I powder coat heavier loads and size everything at .358". Have had good luck with everything from Red Dot for light .38's on up through Power Pistol, BE 86, HS6, Blue Dot 2400 and H110 and maybe a few more that I'm forgetting. Along with X in rifle .357's I've also got a blued Henry carbine and a couple single shots.

The one on the left is a .44 and the one on the right is in .357.
X's.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Gault
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Gault » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:47 pm

I'll have to look up the take down screw.

I'll also have to read up on powder coating cast bullets, I usually just do the Lyman lube sizer.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:48 pm

Gault wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:15 pm
Long time shooter, first Henry.
welcome indeed, delighted to have you join our forum .... do hope you will be an active member who reads and post often .... our Henry 357 quickly became a family favorite .... looking forward to your reports and impressions as you become more familiar with yours .... be sure to follow the link below where you may add your Henry to our community's total

[urlhttp://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2019&p=234782#p234782][/url]
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:35 am

Welcome from the Tualatin Valley Oregon.

You got lucky! My first Henry I got same day off the shelf. The others I spent months watching for them to show up in availability.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:38 am

Congrats and welcome to the site. My Henry 357 (wood stock) really likes Hornady 158 XTP over Win 296. If you decide to shoot jacketed bullets that’s a great place to start.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:21 am

Welcome to the forum Gault and congratulations on your Henry.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Gault
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Gault » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:53 pm

Picked it up yesterday, looking decent. Kind of disappointed with some of the final fit. Sights, both front and rear were loose. I hope to shoot it this weekend.

Born 11 October 2023

Gonna have to figure out pictures...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gault on Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:22 pm

Gault wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:53 pm
Picked it up yesterday, looking decent. Kind of disappointed with some of the final fit. Sights, both front and rear were loose. I hope to shoot it this weekend.

Born 11 October 2023
I hope you like it and it shoots well for you. Check all the screws. I have 4 Henrys and all of them had something loose new out of the box.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234