Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Have had a Henry for a good long while, finally showing up here.

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
mjh
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Have had a Henry for a good long while, finally showing up here.

Post by mjh » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:02 am

New Here!
I've had my Henry Big Boy Steel .357 for some time now. A good while back I'm thinking I need a long gun in .357. I've several revolvers in .357 so why not a long gun? Briefly entertained the idea of the Ruger 77/357 but really had my eye on a lever action rifle. At the the time Marlin was going through it troubles with Remington, with used prices on older Marlins very high. Rossi was made way down south in another country. Henry was tooling right along making lever action rifles and getting good reviews. One complaint was the lack of the side loading gate but I didn't let that keep my from buying. The Henry seemed like that best choice out there at the time. So I ordered a Henry Big Boy Steel. I like it! Very nice rifle. I took it the outdoor range. Shot it. Cleaned it. Put it away.

Life got busy with work, family and what not. I do a lot of Traditional Archery and Bowhunting but my firearms and gun hunting have taken a back stage setting for a while. This past month or so I've had a chance to change that. The offspring said he wanted to do some firearms hunting with a friend. Now my son is not a kid anymore so if he want to hunt with a buddy that's ok by me we have hunted together in the past. He still young enough and in school though that he hasn't got the money to buy the guns--so I let him use mine. So, this has given me a chance to get the long guns out and put them through the paces, check functioning, check sights, and so on. Might get some hunting in myself with one this season yet.

Back to the H012. I put a Skinner sight on yesterday so back off to the range today or Thursday to dial it in and determine if I need a new front sight.

Would be nice to trade what I have for a side gate model but I'd likely have to sell what I have to get the side gate, and well the price I'd get for the current model would not be that great. Perhaps an All Weather? Would like to Marlin come out with a Stainless model in .357 but that future is unknown.

My Henry is certainly a fine firearm still a best choice at this time. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Henry when funds are available.

Maybe that All Weather and then later maybe that Homesteader??? My brother is looking at the Homesteader. I hope he buys one then I can check it out.
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Have had a Henry for a good long while, finally showing up here.

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:55 am

Welcome from Eastern Washington State.

Around here used Henry big Boy Steels fetch $800 and up.

Good luck with your decision and good luck to your son and buddy on their hunt.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:20 pm

mjh wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:02 am
New Here!
Very nice get-to-know-you introduction. Thank You and Welcome!
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

mjh
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by mjh » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome folks!

I did get to the range this am and after having the peep all with way down and shooting 8 inches high I came home and put a new front sight on the Henry. Thought I might have to do that so I already had it ready.

The Henry is good to go for the next range session. Maybe later this week if not for sure next week. Range time is getting expensive. But there is a bit a fun in it as well.
0 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:46 pm

Welcome from Dacotah, hope the new front sight solves the problem. I have a side gate and a tube loader and I like both equally the same.
IMG_2112.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:43 pm

Welcome, no argument from me on the 357 steel Henry. Mine is the carbine. And, that Skinner peep is perfect for the rifle. Enjoy your shooting and posting.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:52 pm

Welcome to the forum.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:46 pm

Hello & Welcome. Pull up a log have a sit done, join in the conversation.
tapatalk_-1381944322_474x316.jpeg

I'm in central W TN, I have H012, but mine is his bigger brother the 41 mag.
Hope you get to break it in on it's first hunt.

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:45 pm

Welcome from north of the border! I have had 2 H012s. A .357 carbine, which is phenomenal, and a .44 Mag. The .44 has the slower twist barrel, so not as accurate as the .357, but soon will be. Both of mine are tube loaders, and I don’t care one bit. Just as fast to load, and way faster to unload (yeah, I know the sidegate has both). I figure if you need more than 7/10 rounds to get “it” done, you are in the wrong sport. If it were the Wild West, I might appreciate the sidegate to choot at them banditos with less moving pieces, but for target or hunting use, tube loading is just fine.
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:52 pm

Welcome from So-Cal. I also have the .357 Henry, only the brass model. Shoots like a dream. Do you handload? And I agree with what Redthies said about our Henry's. They work just fine as is. Enjoy the forum here.
1 x