Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New to this.

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: New to this.

Post by Ernie » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:30 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Hope the cleaning will help. If not, Henry will fix it for sure.
0 x

Galen
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Galen » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:32 pm

Yes Gunny this is a big boy Classic . I have seen the video and have cleaned the barrel. None of the video show how to clean more then that so that is as far as I went. I did not want to void the warranty by doing anything like taking off the stock or the parts out if the gun. I did call Henry and they said they would call back.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:34 pm

I'm sure they will get it sorted out for you. I had one one those rifles and it was a real shooter. Enjoy.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:45 pm

This kind of sounds like an issue I had with mine and I sent it back to Henry. Simply told them it was not cycling correctly. Welcome to the forum and I know they will fix it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:51 pm

Galen wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:32 pm
Yes Gunny this is a big boy Classic . I have seen the video and have cleaned the barrel. None of the video show how to clean more then that so that is as far as I went. I did not want to void the warranty by doing anything like taking off the stock or the parts out if the gun. I did call Henry and they said they would call back.
There's several following videos in the series that show you how to completely disassemble clean, lube and reassemble the gun. You won't void the warranty, since it's unlike any other warranty you've ever heard of.

I'm not going to pull any punches here. I want you to get to know that gun like you know the back of your hand. If you weren't expected to tear it down for standard maintenance, Henry would not have taken the trouble to teach you how. You need to do this if for no other reason than to understand how it all works. So set yourself down and learn.

This is a screen shot of the video series. Note the individual video's listed along the bottom of the Introduction video, which I suspect you didn't notice. Go thru each one in order of presentation, the > means there's a few more.

0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:51 am

I second what Gunny is suggesting, as far as knowing your firearm. That was the advice I received, when I got my Marlin 336W in 2016. Glad that I followed it. Lots of YouTube videos. Took it apart, inspected the carriage, bolt, fire control group, follower and spring, smoothed out any rough spots (very few) cleaned, oiled and put it back together. Not only did I gain a better understanding how a lever action works, I also gained a smoother cycling rifle. And, it increased my confidence in the rifle. I did the same for my Henry. And, I learned that some parts in my Henry seemed more solid than my Marlin. But, the Marlin does seem lighter. So, I guess there is a trade off. In either case, they both cycle and shoot fine.

I am not stating that your rifle does not have a issue. And, I can understand not wanted to jeopardize the warranty. Also, it good to know your limits. If working on things is not your thing, it probably best to leave it for those whose it is. Me, I have been maintaining things (vehicles, house hold items and maintenance, electronic systems and alike) for over 40 years now. So, a firearm is just another tool. With the right tools and know how, a lever action is very simple to maintain. I am not attempting to boast. Look at the video that Gunny provided or search YouTube for disassembly of a level action rifle. You will find how simple it is. The concept has not change much over the decades, just refined. And, the action of the H009 (which I have) is similar to the 336W. Meaning, most function about the same, regardless of the manufacturer.

Henry:
https://youtu.be/CBflIe-iq7Y

Marlin:
https://youtu.be/MGJcPVSHOAw

Winchester:
https://youtu.be/YcZNYAAy_Gc
Last edited by GFK on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:00 pm

I agree with Gunny, watch the video learn your firearm !! A good set of screw drivers are a MUST, I bought a set of Chapman (kit #9600) everything you will need and made in USA www.chapmanmfg.com. I also use Vibra-tite (also an American company) www.vibra-tite.com purple thread locker holds screws without having to over torque them. Enjoy your new Henry
0 x
I love my country but I fear my government

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:21 pm

Not to worry, Galen, it will all work itself out. All of the advice above is spot-on, but it's the old "you can only eat the elephant one bite at a time" adage.
While you're waiting for HRA to call you back, spend some time with the video and the rifle. It's nearly impossible to break anything as long as you're careful. If you find yourself having to force something, then something's wrong, so back up and try again. You'll be surprised how easily it all fits together.
HRA will take care of you, so don't let them off the hook. If you don't hear back within a week, call 'em again.
Look forward to continuing to hear of your progress, and WELCOME to the forum!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:36 pm

Hello from Kentucky.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.