Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hello from first time Henry owner in Leander TX

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
DerekP72
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Hello from first time Henry owner in Leander TX

Post by DerekP72 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:51 pm

Got my first Henry. HO24 35 Remington. Took my 14 yr old son with me to Copperhead Creek Shooting Range outside of Marble Falls TX (highly recommend www.copperheadclub.com). Had a great time. Looking forward to getting proficient with it then I'm gonna get after these nuisance hogs tearing up Texas. Gotta say the Buckhorn sites are hard for my old eyes plus astigmatism. Thinking of ordering a Skinner Sight. Would y'all recommend them or another to try? On a 100 yard target I was getting around 6" grouping from the bench. I really don't want to put a scope on it. I figure hunting hogs realistically won't shoot more than 50 yards here due to thick brush.

Here's my son firing the Henry. Put a rubber butt pad on it. She's a kicker! https://youtu.be/2nUAeoh1Vqc

Anyhow giddy to have a Henry. Pure Americana!

Happy new year y'all.
4 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Hello from first time Henry owner in Leander TX

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:12 am

Welcome to the forum. Lots of us here use the Skinner and like them. A six inch group at 100 yards with iron sights is good shooting. That’s three inches at 50 yards and well within the hog vitals.

Enjoyed watching the video.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

rugrat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rugrat » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:04 am

Welcome to the forum. Sorry but I dont have any experience with the Skinner Sight.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:11 am

Welcome aboard Sir, 6” at 100 yards is darn good shooting. I don’t have anything with Skinner sights. But used to shoot The M16 with its peep and post. They work great no doubt you will like the Skinner.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:12 am

First, welcome! Second, good job! It is great to be able to share your passion with those whom you love. I agree; it does not seem right to put a scope of a lever action, even though I have one with a scope. It has a pistol grip also. So, I guess that makes it okay? If eyes permit, it will probably be the only one. But, bullet on target is the more important thing. So, who knows. It may be scope for all. At any rate, Happy Shooting!!
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:40 am

Welcome to the forum from CT and congratulations on your new Henry. I have Skinner sights on both of my Henrys; they're great.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:46 am

I thought about a Skinner sight. But, I wanted to keep my front sight. So, I went with a Ranger Point Precision Cloverleaf optic sight. So far, I am happy with it. I am more confident in my shots at 100 yards, with an open sight. I was able to shoot a 4 1/2" group. With some more work, I think that I can get it tighter.
Last edited by GFK on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:14 am

Hey Derek. Welcome from Nebraska. I use the Skinner peep. It helps. Glad you are out with your boy.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:10 am

Welcome aboard. That 35 should provide some hogs with a dirt nap for sure. I have skinner on my 22's. I like them but I also like the fiber optic sights that Ranger Point has to offer. You might at least take a look at those also.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

DerekP72
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DerekP72 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks for the tips. I'm leaning towards Ranger Point precision as they're in Texas like me. Did y'all also replace the front sight as well or stick with the factory sight?
0 x