Share something with us about your favorite Henry model

KFC's Secret Recipe?

Post recipes here. No comments allowed. They will be deleted. Likes allowed.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

KFC's Secret Recipe?

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:20 pm

I read about this in the NY Times, then in the original Chicago Tribune story. This could just be a list of the infamous secret ingredients. I will be trying it. I know KFC uses a pressure cooker fryer, which I don't have, but I do have a deep fryer and I do love KFC chicken.

11 spices — mix with 2 cups white flour

2/3 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon thyme
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/3 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried mustard
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons white pepper

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/dinin ... ref=dining
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle ... story.html
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: KFC's Secret Recipe?

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:16 pm

Cool...yes, KFC chicken is tasty.

Let us know what your tongue tells you! :)
CT_Shooter wrote: I read about this in the NY Times, then in the original Chicago Tribune story. This could just be a list of the infamous secret ingredients. I will be trying it. I know KFC uses a pressure cooker fryer, which I don't have, but I do have a deep fryer and I do love KFC chicken.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:29 pm

saw a blurb about it on FOX ... looking forward to your evaluation
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:24 am

So, did you ever try the recipe?

I actually cooked KFC chicken back in the early 70's, my first real job. We didn't have the fancy cookers they have now, used pressure pots on a gas burner stove. Literally took 15 minutes to clean the carbon off the bottom of each pot each night and we'd have 6 pots going on busy weekends.

Don't know the secret recipe but I'll bet there is a lot more salt in it than your recipe. It's been a long time but I remember adding a good amount of salt to 10 lbs of flour and then adding the packet of secret spices that we got from KFC (which I bet was at least half black pepper).
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:54 am

It does taste like KFC's chicken, though just deep frying does not provide that great KFC crust. As you suggest, I think KFC is commercially cooked in a pressurized deep fryer and that may be the difference. It's still pretty good. I've even used it on pork with satisfying results.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 am

Yes, the crust is the best. I always thought our's was better than that made with the new equipment. We would have a thermometer in each pot, then dump the chicken in when the oil was exactly 400 degrees, 5 degrees higher and the oil would start to smoke. Put the lid on, turn the heat down and set the timer for 11 minutes.

Funny how you can remember details like that after so many years, I guess because I cooked it for several years so had many repetitions.

There's still a drive-in place here with carhops and when I go there it still brings back memories of the old KFC/A&W.
1 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 pm

I used to make chicken at Big Boy, a restaurant chain that is mostly gone now. The corporation that owned the Big Boys in our area also owned the KFC restaurants, and guess what? Somehow our chicken was exactly like KFC Original Recipe. :)

We didn’t know what was in the breading, as the flour came from another location with the seasonings already mixed in. I can confirm, though, that it’s made in large commercial pressure fryers. That part of it is really probably more important than the “eleven herbs and spices.”

I’ve always wished that someone could make a pressure fryer for home use, but I suspect it the liability issues would be too difficult to overcome.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:37 pm

The pressure cookers we used were just like the one's I've seen for home use, maybe they were heavier duty because of the higher temps but they had the standard pressure release weights and locking lids. They were big and heavy, we would do 2 chickens at a time in them and we had to dump them by hand into a big basket that drained into a container that was then pumped into large reservoir.

My arms were always covered with small burns from droplets of hot oil. I really doubt OSHA would allow their use today. If you weren't careful you could have been severely burned.

When the owner sold his franchise to a new KFC only place he showed me the check he got, it was quite large for the 70's. He also got a very nice check for agreeing to not have chicken on his menu for several years.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:52 am

It's nice to hear this comes close.

I also like "broasted" chicken. It's still around in different places.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 am

in our part of the county the competition among bunches of restaurants featuring chicken is intense .... judging from cars parked at all of the BoJangle, it is extremely successful and is our preference .... the KFC right down the road in our nearest town closed several months ago
0 x