Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

John Wayne Cookbooks

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

John Wayne Cookbooks

Post by JEBar » Sat May 30, 2020 10:10 am

with us spending so much time at home, I decided to spend some time reading .... I guess I have an interesting taste in reading materials .... with Nosler not having issued a new manual in several years, I've moved to a second area of interest .... that being grilling/cooking .... more specifically, John Wayne style cooking ===> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=john+wayne+c ... _ss_i_3_15 .... my first review of these books is to thumb through and look at the pictures .... doubt anyone will be surprised by that .... while doing so, any recipes for cooking items I don't care for are quickly passed over .... I then go back through and read the recipes/comments for the ones that looked interesting .... I learned long ago that there is a large world of spices and seasonings out there that I know nothing about .... if I'm interested in a recipe but note that it has ones I don't know, I try to do some research on ones listed .... as one who enjoys flavor, not fire, I'm finding that many spices/seasonings are little more than hot peppers .... as can be seen in the second pictures, I make notes on the recipes that interest me .... happily, the John Wayne series has a great many of them
Attachments
200530 001 John Wayne Cookbooks 001.jpg
200530 001 John Wayne Cookbooks 001.jpg (96.69 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
200530 002 John Wayne Cookbooks 001.jpg
200530 002 John Wayne Cookbooks 001.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
2 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: John Wayne Cookbooks

Post by ChefDuane » Sat May 30, 2020 12:18 pm

That's what I like to see in a cookbook... pages folded over, writing in the margins, edges frayed. Lets me know that someone is USING the cookbook and not just as decoration. Wonder if he has a recipe for that big ol' steak meant for Liberty Valance!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejzuQ9kVbs
1 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 30, 2020 12:33 pm

in his grilling book he has 16 recipes for grilling beefsteak .... he doesn't have that many in the cast iron book does have several :D
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat May 30, 2020 12:45 pm

One of my favorite cookbooks is by Justin Wilson. I had no idea that he was a comedian till long after I started using his book. Anytime I am in the mood for Cajun the book comes off the shelf. He had a cooking show on tv for a while.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 30, 2020 1:43 pm

Justin was an outstanding showman and pure Cajun .... he was also a highly vaunted Real Estate speaker/lecturer .... back when my father was a Broker Justin addressed the state Realtor's convention several times
1 x