Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Oysters

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Oysters

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:22 am

Gulf Oysters Are Dying, Putting a Southern Tradition at Risk

"Louisiana normally accounts for a third of the nation’s annual oyster harvest. The current season isn’t over, but losses reported so far are so severe “that we’re likely to not remain the largest oyster producer in the United States,” said Patrick Banks, an assistant secretary in the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/12/dini ... sters.html
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:47 am

interesting info .... if the trend outlined in the link continues, my bet is there will be considerable expansion in oyster farming
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:18 am

Actually, most (if not all) oysters are "farmed" now in coastal estuary waters (The Long Island Sound has a few along the coasts of NY and CT). I would think that moving cultivation out of the natural environment would be very expensive.
Wikipedia wrote:Oyster farming was practiced by the ancient Romans as early as the 1st century BC on the Italian peninsula.[3] With the Barbarian invasions the oyster farming in the Mediterranean and the Atlantic came to an end.

In 1852 Monsieur de Bon started to re-seed the oyster beds by collecting the oyster spawn using makeshift catchers. An important step to the modern oyster farming was the oyster farm built by Hyacinthe Boeuf in the Ile de Ré. After obtaining the rights to a part of the coast he built a wall to make a reservoir and to break the strength of the current. Some time later the wall was covered with spat coming spontaneously from the sea which gave 2000 baby oysters per square metre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_farming
JEBar wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:47 am
interesting info .... if the trend outlined in the link continues, my bet is there will be considerable expansion in oyster farming
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:18 am
Actually, most (if not all) oysters are "farmed" now in coastal estuary waters (The Long Island Sound has a few along the coasts of NY and CT). I would think that moving cultivation out of the natural environment would be very expensive.

agree .... oyster farms on the NC coast seem to be doing well and as the price goes up, they will probably grow

http://chadwickcreek.com/

https://www.jarrettbayoysters.com/

https://www.ncoyster365.com/

https://www.ncfieldfamily.org/farm/nort ... ng-it-out/
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:06 pm

THREAD RESURRECTION :

its been many a moon since we purchased live oysters in their shell and steamed them .... well history has just repeated itself .... we have good friends who can't get out and about much any more due to the husband suffering from a bad case of ataxia .... many times we over the years we steamed oysters at one of our homes or when camping .... the abattoir (AKA: slaughterhouse​) where we purchase whole hogs for pig pickin'​s now carries bags or oysters in their shells so we just called in an order .... we still have the oyster cleaner and oyster steamer that I made decades ago .... oysters in the shell when purchased in bulk often come caked with mud, gunk and grime .... hand scrubbing them using a scrub brush to is more work than I'm interested in doing ....happily the ones we have on order to pickup Saturday morning have already been scrubbed so there shouldn't be any need to use our homemade cleaner .... we are really looking forward to Saturday
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:17 pm

Ironically...we're having oysters tonight from the local co-op. Theirs are usually very good.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:51 pm

how do they fix theirs :?:
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:14 pm

We eat them raw, on the half. Not for everyone, but, we love them. Been eating them that way my entire adult life.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:23 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:14 pm
We eat them raw, on the half. Not for everyone, but, we love them. Been eating them that way my entire adult life.
That's the way I like 'em.
The way I tried 'em the first time, and
well I haven't seen a reason to change. :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:08 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:14 pm
Only way to eat oysters! I've had them steamed and cook over charcoal but they are not the same as on the half shell.

Paul
2 x