Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

One pot dish for the camp site

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

One pot dish for the camp site

Post by Blackdog » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 am

A couple of years ago I attended a silhouette match Shreveport, La. They had BBQ for lunch and a side of beans. The BBQ was OK, but the beans were something else. I overhear the cook talking to the match director and paid attention -

A large can of Bush's Baked Beans
A large bottle of Wishbone Italian salad dressing
Link sausage cut into 1" slices
Hot sauce to taste, can also add spices as desired
Cajun Trio - Onions, bell peppers, celery -all diced

Saute' the onions, bell peppers, celery until the onions are translucent. Add the Wishbone Italian dressing and all the spices in the bottle. Stir in the beans. Bring to a light boil then add the sausage (I usually add grilled chicken strips too).

Let it cool and take it to your next campout. Serves 4 normal people or two hungry people. Warn in a skillet over the fire and serve with a piece of french bread.

The key in the Wishbone Italian Dressing - the spices in the dressing go great with the beans and sausage. Feel free to modify to suit your taste.

Use paper plates and you'll only have to wash one skillet!

Michael
3 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: One pot dish for the camp site

Post by wingnut » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Chili BCR (Texas style - no beans!)

Not a secret recipe at all and I'll be glad to share it with you. As one of my online friends, who is a very good cook himself said, this is a hard core chili recipe.

Here is how she works.

In a heavy iron pot with a lid put two tablespoons of oil. I like olive oil or bacon grease. Heat it up good. Sear 2 to 2.5 pounds of lean red meat until browned (not gray). Cut your meat into little chunks about the size of the end of your finger. You can use coarse ground meat but chunked is better. Any lean meat will do, game meat is excellent. Pork doesn't work well. Too much fat. When meat is seared turn down the heat and add one 8oz can of tomato sauce and three cans of water.

Add:
1 tsp salt (non-iodized)
1 Tbs dry minced garlic
3 Tbs dry minced onion
1 tsp dry oregano (use Mexican if you can get it)
3 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp Cayanne pepper.
7 Tbs Chili powder (this may be too hot for you try 6. Chili powder varies by brand as to heat. I use Rosarita. You will just have to try until you find a level you like)

Dump this into the simmering meat, stir it up, cover and simmer about an hour and a quarter or until tender. Stir it when you think about it.

Now mix 3 Tbs masa (corn flour) with enough warm water to make a thick flowable paste. Add this to the chili. Stir it up good. Simmer another 15 to 20 minutes and dish it up.

Have a good supply of Montezuma's golden spoons (corn tortilla chips) to go along with it.

AB’s chili powder

3 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely. Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Last edited by wingnut on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:10 pm

BBQ baked beans

1 lb. thick-cut bacon or bacon "ends and pieces" cut in 1-1 1/2 inch lengths
1 cup chopped onion
5 one lb. cans of white or kidney beans with liquid
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup ketchup or BBQ sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 ts cayenne or chipotle powder (optional)
4 tbs prepared mustard or 2 tbs mustard powder
1 tbs smoked paprika

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a 6 quart dutch oven, sauté the bacon and onion until slightly brown. Add all other ingredients, stir well. Place in the oven for 2-2 1/2 hours, uncovered, reduce liquids by 1/4. Check and stir every 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 300F, cover and cook for another hour or until desired thickness.

Grill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TpHBoDn_Fw
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

MJ151
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MJ151 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:07 pm

Ok this is one we use for elk camp. It breakfast and nothing special but fills you up, is hot and you only have to clean 1 pan.
1 lbs bacon cut to small pieces
1 lb shredded hashbrowns, raw
10-12 eggs
1/2 to 2/3 cup cottage cheese

Fry the bacon about 3/4 of the way to done. Throw in hashbrowns and cook to your desired level of crispy. Scramble eggs and mix in the cottage cheese. When hashbrowns are to your liking add the egg mixture. The cottage cheese keeps the eggs from setting as firm as normal scrambled eggs would be. Cook the whole thing until done (eggs will not form up really hard) and enjoy. You can add anything you want to in addition. We call this dish, slop. My kids insist on having this every so often at home. This will feed 2-3 hunters. We have made it before in those massive Lodge cast iron skillets and tripled the quantity. Super easy.
1 x
Support the Working Waterfront.