Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Squirrel recipe?

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Squirrel recipe?

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:21 pm

The Grey Squirrel is the official mascot of my home town. During the depression, Squirrels were the most abundant and easily harvested protein food source.
In 1975, the elementary school's parents, pupils, and teachers collected family recipes to include in a publication that was distributed throughout the town. About ten years ago, my wife found a rare copy of this book and I scanned it into a PDF document.

The first recipe in the book was for...

PRESERVED CHILDREN
Submitted by Jody Werner

Take one large field, half-a-dozen children, 2 or 3 small dogs, a pinch of brook, and some pebbles. Mix the children and dogs all together; put them on the field, stirring constantly. Pour the brook over the pebbles; sprinkle the field with flowers; spread over all a deep blue sky and bake in the sun. When brown, set away to cool in the bathtub.

It also included this simple recipe for Squirrel.

SQUIRREL
Submitted by Hal Stillwaggon

Squirrel is lean meat (need to add fat or oil). Brown slowly in a small amount of fat in a fry pan or Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer in low heat from 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove the cover the last 15 min. for a crisper crust.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 am

Cool doing the canning....explain a little clearer please to this simpleton how you do it to get the jars to seal. Looks great!!!
1 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:25 am

Wonderful to see bandit1250 utilizing a resource so well!! Good job to him! And nice that he shares!!!
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:12 am

Ozarkwoodswalker wrote:Cool doing the canning....explain a little clearer please to this simpleton how you do it to get the jars to seal. Looks great!!!
I just make sure they are not so full to touch the lid. Probably wouldn't matter any way being that they cook down. Then I tighten the lid on as tight as I can hand tighten them. After they are in the canner 90 minutes or so when you take them out and set them on the counter top and when they cool down you will hear a pop and the lid will pull down in slightly in the center and that is when the lid is sealing. My wife can tap on the jar lids with her finger nail and tell by the sound it makes if it sealed. She checks for the lid sealing and I do all the canning. I have only ever had a couple in all the years not seal. That's not a bad thing because I just go ahead and eat them right away. ;) :D Some of the best eating is a rabbit dish she makes up with dressing and whatever else she uses with the canned rabbit meat pulled off the bone and then bakes it. A rabbit has a bland taste compared to the squirrels I get and the dressing and the other stuff she uses spruces up the flavor of the rabbit. I also used to can my fish. Makes for some great fish cakes. Some women tell there husbands not to eat at my house because you don't know what might be in those jars he has on the shelf. :shock: I just kind of laugh to myself and think it is your loss not mine and that's more for me. ;) :)
2 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks!!!
1 x