Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pickled Herring

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Pickled Herring

Post by ruhler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:49 am

This is probably on the most common things I eat during easter and on christmas.

Shoppinglist:
Salted herring filées (I buy it on can) about 400grams filées in total.
24% vinegar essence, (you can use lower % but have to recalculate the mix with water)
water
Sugar
bay leaves
allspice berries
whole cloves
Dill
3 carrots
1 onion
1 red onion
1 leek

First use a mortar and pestle to lightly crush about a tablespoon of the allspice berries
Then mix these ingrediences in a pot: 1dl vineagar essence, 3dl of water, 4dl of sugar, 4bay leaves, allspice berries, 15cloves and heat/boil it up so the sugar is mixed up and it become a clear fluid. Take the pot off and let the liquid cool for a few hours it must be cool when used on the rest of the ingredients. Cut down the filées in a big bowl, about 1cm wide parts (I use a scissor), then chop the carrots and onions and leek and put it in the bowl and then pour the cold liqiud from the pot over the other ingredient in the bowl and cover the bowl and store it cold in the fridge for 2days then its done and ready to eat the herring cold as it is. (it smells some so cover up the bowl so other things in the fridge dont get the taste) Milk tasting herring isnt the most pleasant taste. ;)

Servingsuggestions,
Put it on a sandwich with/without butter and a boiled egg beside.
serve it with boiled potatoes and meatballs
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Pickled Herring

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:27 am

my wife loves pickled herring .. :D .. I haven't evolved that far .. :? .. I'm going to make sure she sees this recipe
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 am

Never made it myself, but love the stuff in the jar. Ma Baensch Marinated Herring. “Kiss of Health Since 1932.”
1 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:55 am

JEBar wrote:my wife loves pickled herring .. :D .. I haven't evolved that far .. :? .. I'm going to make sure she sees this recipe
Nice, this is my grandmas recipe she is 92years old but as always she makes everything taste better even though I use the same reciepes. There is something magic that happens when grandparents/parents cook for you it gives that little extra something made with love and thats all what cooking is about. :)
2 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I love pickled herring, but like ditto, I have never made it and love the stuff in jars or even better the ones packed in plastic trays from our local Polish store. I don't think my wife has made it either, but perhaps her grandmother from Belarus.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All