Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cast Iron

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Cast Iron

Post by clovishound » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:57 pm

I've no idea what the market is like now, but even though the name may command a premium price, at times there are items available at flea markets and such that are priced quite reasonably. The biggest issue I have with the Lodge is the rough casting surfaces. A little time with a ROS would likely take care of that problem.

Of course, in order to get a bargain on an old Griswold, you will likely have to spend some time combing the fleas. That can be a lot of fun. I have trouble passing by the tables with old woodworking tools. I already have far more hand planes in my shop than I could ever use.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:55 pm

If there's anything better than a Porterhouse cooked in a cast iron skillet, I haven't found it yet. I have two Lodges one 10 inch and one that's lot bigger.
That 10 inch skillet is one of the best things my daughter ever bought me.
0 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Is there a secret to cooking steak on cast iron? Going to be cooking for just me Thursday night.Steak on cast iron is something I haven't tried. Too darned cold to grill out!
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:44 pm

A Lot of Butter and Garlic!
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Kosher salt in the bottom of the pan. Get the pan hot and throw in the steak and sear on both sides. I put mine in a 400 degree oven for a couple of minutes if it's real thick. Then finish on the stove top.
2 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 pm

Covered or open?
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:16 am

Open
0 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:49 am

Thank you! I'll give that a whirl.
0 x

CLA
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CLA » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 pm

I have a sizeable collection of cast iron that was handed down through my Mom's side of the family starting with my Great Grand Mother.

It's from the 20's/30's, and came across the Great Plains, ala "Grapes of Rath" to Oregon, where my Grandmother and her family settled down.

It's all Griswold and Axford, I'm using some of it as wall decoration in the Kitchen (I still have fond memories of her making hub cap sized pancakes in the skillet shown in the upper left) and the rest is working cookware.

One of my favorites is an Axford "Broiler" that is great for burgers and steaks. Yes... that's glass top cooktop, but it's not what I use to cook with for cast iron, I have one of those single burner table top butane stoves, nothing beats gas for temperature control.

For cast iron seasoning, nothing beats flax seed oil. I found an explanation of the seasoning process that said it's the polymerization of the oil via controlled heat, and that flax seed was the best oil to use... I tried it and have to agree, very durable.

I had to chuckle about clovishound's comment about not making it past the old woodworking tools to get to the cast iron, I have the same problem... Stanley planes, auger bits and braces, chisels, saws, clamps...
Attachments
DSC03005 (2).jpg
DSC03005 (2).jpg (263.9 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
DSC03003 (2).jpg
DSC03003 (2).jpg (300.46 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
2 x

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:07 am

Most of our stuff is 10" or 12" Lodge, very well seasoned as they got a lot of use and abuse. It's always interesting to see the look on guests faces when I tell them that beautiful steak they are eating was NOT done on a grill or plancha but in a simple cast iron pan.
1 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.