Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Perfect Hot Dog

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

The Perfect Hot Dog

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:20 am

when it comes to hotdogs and most other foods, my taste are pretty simple (I drink straight black coffee) .... what toppings do you like on a hot dog and where do you find it .... I like an all beef hot dog topped with yellow mustard, mayo, white slaw and onions ..... my source has long been Grill '57 ===> http://www.grill57.com/ <=== .... it is located on the south side of Raleigh it is a throwback restaurant that plays music from the '50's & '60's .. :D .. its all beef, foot long hotdog (#7 on their menu) is the standard against which I judge all other hot dogs .... so far, in all of our travels, I've never found one as good, much less any better .... if/when you are in the area and enjoy an atmosphere that will take you back to much simpler times, give it a try
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: The Perfect Hot Dog

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 am

For me it is a redskin hot dog with the skin that snaps when you bite it. Cover that in chili, onions, and mustard. And the bun needs to be soft and fresh.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:21 pm

My favorite way to eat hot dogs is slice two and put them in a can of pork and beans with sauteed onions and mushrooms and some brown sugar. Comfort food at it's best. I loved fixing a pot of beans and hot dogs after a long day diving the river in the winter. Let it simmer while I take a nice hot shower to get the river funk off me and warm me up. Doesn't get any better than that.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:58 am

In the north country, I really like Glaziers. Across from Paul Smith's college a fellow sells these "Michigan style". I must admit they are good.

I like a nice natural casing dog with onions and german mustard. Soft bun is a plus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_hot_dog
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:54 am

interesting .... I'd never heard of a Michigan Hot Dog .... :D
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:02 am

A red skin/frankfurter with onions, mustard and tomato ketchup in a nice fresh white roll/bun. Luvverly! :D
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 am

we have a good friend who lives in Texas that wants us to give Good Dog ===> http://gooddoghouston.com/ <=== a try .... I must say, they offer toppings that I'd never considered .... many that after considering, I wouldn't order .. :? ..
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:37 am

Kosher or Nathen's with kraut and mustard
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: The Perfect Hotdog

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 am

Henry88 wrote:Kosher or Nathen's with kraut and mustard
I prefer Kosher hot dogs, too, though with spicy brown mustard, either sweet pickle or hot pepper relish, and finely chopped onions. I also like the bun to be buttered and toasted on both sides. It might be on the lunch menu today. :)
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 pm

All beef hot dog, sliced down the center, insert a slice of string cheese, wrap in bacon, broil it so it's healthy for you, bakery bun, Heinz Ketchup. Wow
0 x