Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Turkey Cooking

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Turkey Cooking

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 am

Thanksgiving is coming quickly .... I think it is pretty well acknowledged that more turkeys are cooked for Thanksgiving than for any other day, the question comes to mind : what is your favorite method of cooking a turkey .... oven baked -- oil fried -- dry fried -- smoked -- BBQ'd -- :?: :?: :?:
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Turkey Cooking

Post by clovishound » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm

I really miss my old electric water smoker. I remember coming home from work the night before Thanksgiving, I work nights and normally get off somewhere around midnight. Anyway, I would spend about twenty minutes getting the turkey ready while the smoker heated up. Put the turkey in the smoker and wait until everything stabilized in temperature, set the alarm for about 4 hours later and go to bed. When the alarm went off I would add more chips and fill the water pan, then go back to bed. When I got up, the turkey would be ready.

Moist, tender, and a wonderful smoky flavor. Boil the carcass to make stock, and the gravy from it would have a little of that smoky flavor too.

Unfortunately, I left the smoker on the porch for a while and the moisture got to it and rusted out parts of it. It was an inexpensive model, and I have thought about getting another, but turkeys are hard to find, and expensive other times of the year, and nobody in the house eats turkey except for me now, so I have given up on the idea of getting another. I do miss it this time of year, though.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Turkey Cooking

Post by Steve51 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:54 pm

When we want smoked turkey, I use a water smoker that has a propane burner. Otherwise, my wife uses the oven or a electric roaster. It tastes the best, when you are pulling the meat from the bones.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW