Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Home Canning

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Home Canning

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:53 pm

it seems from looking at the large number of restaurants in our area that home cooking is losing ground to eating out .... take that one step further and I tend to believe (at least in our area) home canning is becoming a lost art .... we used to raise a big ( 1 acre + ) garden but with spending the summers out west in our camper, for us those days are gone .... what works for us is to buy White Half Runner green beans, tomatoes, and cucumbers at the farmer's market and can them .... my family is from the mountains of NC and raised White Half Runner green beans .... they are old line string and snap beans and to me, when I sit down to eat green beans, if it ain't a White Half Runner, I'm really not interested .... we have come to put where we put up 2 bushels (56 quarts) a year ..... unfortunately, none of the farmer's markets in our areas carry them and closest we can find is in Asheville (a 500+ mile round trip) .... with my Mom in a nursing home in Asheville, we them up when we go up for a visit .... yesterday was such a day .... got home around 5PM spent the evening stringing and snapping .... from the bushel we bought we put 7 gallons in the frig over night and are now in the process of canning them .... we anticipate getting about 28 quarts .... that should keep well stocked until time to can more next year .... in addition to green beans next wee we plan go to the Raleigh Farmer's Market and get tomatoes and cucumbers by the bushel .... below are a few pictures
Attachments
150814 001 Half Runners 001.jpg
150903 001 34qt 5pt 001.jpg
150817 002 mountain pickles 002.jpg
9 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Home Canning

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Beautiful canning harvest; the veggie colors even look tasty. Reminds everyone that the harvest season is ramping up to full swing.
I especially love fresh market tomatoes! My Mom used to pluck one out of her garden, and eat it like an apple. :)

Sharp-looking knife is nicely placed, and it did a good job on those cukes! ;)
0 x

~Пока~

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:53 pm

That is a beautiful amount of canning and I agree that you don't have many of the younger people doing much canning anymore. But the Amish people will always do it and we have many Amish farms with beautiful gardens, in our area. We used to can beans and tomatoes from our small garden but nothing like my grandmother did back in the 50's because she had a very large garden behind her house. She had a dirt floor in the cellar and she had the wooden shelves that lined the walls with canned vegetables. But I still love to go to the farmers market. We used to make homemade applesauce and freeze it and it sure tasted good in the winter, or anytime for that matter. But it is a lot of work, especially turning the foley mill, and with our aches and pains we have given up on that also. She still cuts corn off the cob after it is boiled and freezes it but that's about it.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:15 pm

in thinking about it, for us it, part taste and part tradition .... canned/frozen veggies are a far cry in quality and taste from where they were 50 years ago .... that said, we haven't found any commercially available beans with the taste we prefer .... nor tomatoes with the combination of taste and low acid .... the pickles are my grandmother's recipe .... they have a unique hot dill taste that is unequaled .... years ago when my wife was working with some church and later 4H girls clubs they put them in the NC State Fair and won ribbons .... its most certainly easier to buy than home can but we will continue to do so for as long as we are able
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:56 pm

Awesome job, JEBar.

It seems like a good deal of each day is spent processing food at our house, too. We've been freezing the strawberries, blackberries and green beans from our garden. We wash them, dry them in a single layer in the fridge, then freeze them in a single layer before bagging them. We freeze our peaches whole, but we can apples and applesauce. We grow tomatoes, too, and we usually can them whole, but this year we've decided to just make some large batches of sauce and can that instead.

We make pickles with dill, a whole cayenne pepper, and few cloves of chopped garlic, but we keep them in the fridge instead of canning. We grow all of these ingredients ourselves. I go through them pretty quickly and have friends that count on getting a few jars every season. I'll be putting up a few more jars today. I'd love to know your grandmother's recipe. ;)

It's a good feeling to eat and to share what we've grown in the yard throughout the year.
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Looks delicious, my Grandmother was a great canner. She had a cellar full of everything you can put in a jar. Her peace he's were always as fresh as if they just came off the tree.
One summer when I was 15 she came up from the cellar with a jar of corn that she put up on the day I was born. It was crisp and delicious.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:46 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:Awesome job, JEBar.

It seems like a good deal of each day is spent processing food at our house, too. We've been freezing the strawberries, blackberries and green beans from our garden. We wash them, dry them in a single layer in the fridge, then freeze them in a single layer before bagging them. We freeze our peaches whole, but we can apples and applesauce. We grow tomatoes, too, and we usually can them whole, but this year we've decided to just make some large batches of sauce and can that instead.

We make pickles with dill, a whole cayenne pepper, and few cloves of chopped garlic, but we keep them in the fridge instead of canning. We grow all of these ingredients ourselves. I go through them pretty quickly and have friends that count on getting a few jars every season. I'll be putting up a few more jars today. I'd love to know your grandmother's recipe. ;)

It's a good feeling to eat and to share what we've grown in the yard throughout the year.
strawberry season ended before we headed west for the summer .... my wife froze a bunch of them ..... we don't do much with other types of berries .... she does make strawberry jelly and a topping for pancakes that's a big hit with the kids
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:54 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:Looks delicious, my Grandmother was a great canner. She had a cellar full of everything you can put in a jar. Her peace he's were always as fresh as if they just came off the tree.
One summer when I was 15 she came up from the cellar with a jar of corn that she put up on the day I was born. It was crisp and delicious.
I have similar memories of my grandmother's cellar with shelves full of all types of fruits, berries and veggies .... I particularly remember her canned peach halves, nothing sweeter .. :D
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:10 pm

My grandmothers both canned. My mother canned. I can from time to time. I'll can anything with my pressure canner. It's becoming a lost art. Get the Ball canning book. It's loaded with jewels of canning.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:54 pm

I've been canning alot of meat the past couple years. Elk, deer, geese, old laying hens. You can get a whole boned chicken in a quart jar! Great for soups, stews, casseroles . No refrigeration and a long shelf life!
2 x