Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Canning In the New Age

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Canning In the New Age

Post by Handloader » Sat May 04, 2024 11:49 am

We recently upgraded our kitchen stove to a glass top the wife wanted. Overall, it is great and more efficient than the old burner type. That said we found out we could no longer use our 30-pound pressure canner on it. When the canner is full it can easily exceed 45 pounds and would break the class cook top. So, I used the canner on my crab boiler gas burner. The drawback I needed to set up a separate clean space to uses it and baby sit it.

I was perusing the WWW and found that Presto makes a fully electric automatic canner the meets FDA approval for pressure canning and general bath canning. So, I looked at the reviews on Amazon some of the reviews were not good but 85% were 5 stars. I went to the presto sight where 124 out of 21 rated it with 5 stars. Some of the ratings from Amazon were things missing in the box. I personally have been not happy with some of the Amazon dealers for the same reason. So, I like ordering directly with the manufacturer and never had a problem with missing or bad parts. Sometimes you have to pay a little more however, it is worth it in the long run.

The canner prompts you on each step and makes it pretty easy. It does take a little longer but that is better than breaking the glass cook top and babysitting the gas burner. I am on my second batch of green bean canning no salt require as many other recipes call for great for people with high blood pressure. I did put some minced garlic in the beans. You can use any canning recipe just make sure you the canning times in the recipe.
Attachments
Electric Canner.jpg
Electric Canner.jpg (611.38 KiB) Viewed 179 times
1 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Canning In the New Age

Post by JEBar » Sat May 04, 2024 2:47 pm

that's a nice looking canner ..... we are still using our decades old pressure canner
0 x

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Sat May 04, 2024 3:28 pm

I still have my OS pressure canner just in case the SHTF.
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat May 04, 2024 4:18 pm

I had a glass top stove once. I prefer cooking on a gas stove.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat May 04, 2024 4:32 pm

We have an OS caner too. Our stove is propane fueled.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234