Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Underhammer DIY barrel pin tool

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Underhammer DIY barrel pin tool

Post by PT7 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 pm

Working with my new Pedersoli Underhammer. I ran into a challenge this week when attempting to dis-assemble the barrel from frame to do a barrel clean. The barrel pin was inserted extremely tight at the factory and wouldn't budge. This was complicated by the fact that when placing the pistol on its side to pound out the pin, there was a high chance of cracking the wider-than-barrel wood grip, or damaging the 2-1/4" deco wood strip on the side of the frame. These two picture show points of wood contact on the pistol where damage could happen with forceful pounding.

UH TX IMG_3776.jpg
UH TX IMG_3776.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
UH hammer open_3585.JPG
UH hammer open_3585.JPG (248.02 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
I chatted with a good friend who has many shop skills and good collection of tools. Similar to my earlier project of the wood re-loading stand I built for my Trapper pistol, he brought over some tools I don't have and we made a "barrel pin tool" out of scrap wood, a dowel rod, and plastic construction shims. He came up with a creative design where the pistol is held on either side of the barrel pin by only metal, and the spacing keeps the wood away from any contact with pressure points of pounding. It took very forceful blows on the barrel pin to get it loose and out. Now I have the barrel pin tool for any future dis-assembly and re-assembly. Not much different than my wood reloading stand... plain-Jane design and unfinished wood, but works pretty well.

barrel pin removal tool_3601.JPG
barrel pin removal tool_3601.JPG (162.14 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
barrel pin removal tool_3600.JPG
barrel pin removal tool_3600.JPG (163.28 KiB) Viewed 1709 times

PT7 with help of good friend TT.
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Underhammer DIY barrel pin tool

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:24 pm