Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Power Belt Experience?

A place for your black powder fun
PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Power Belt Experience?

Post by PJM » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:37 am

Any comments on these? How do they load? Are they accurate? Would you recommend them? Does velocity suffer? They appear to be available in .54 cal.
I was thinking about trying some before they too become hard to find.
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Power Belt Experience?

Post by Mgderf » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:20 am

I've been using Power belts for more than a decade.
They are VERY accurate, extremely easy to load, and when used with IMR "White-Hot" pellets, it is a very easy cleanup.
As a matter of fact, I took a large doe this season with a .50cal CVA Optima loaded with a 295gr Power Belt over 100grs of IMR White Hots.

Yes, they are worth a try.
My guess is. once you try them, you'll never go back to patched balls.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:40 am

when you know as little as I do, its easy to learn something new .. :? .. thanks for starting this thread .... I'd never heard of Powerbelt bullets ===> http://www.powerbeltbullets.com/
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:05 am

Thanks for your input I should have been more specific. Your optima is a 1 in 28" twist, I believe, which as you know is a sabot twist. These power belts appear to have a sabot type base. I want to use in a TC WMC which is a slower twist at 1 in 48". I'm not sure they will stabilize the power belts.Any body ever use these in a traditional BP gun?
0 x

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:27 pm

I've used 245 gr .50 cal Areotip, Blackhorn 209 powder in my TC Triumph Bone Collector with a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope. At 100 yds., I couldn't get any consistent (3) shot groups, it sprayed them all over the target. I tried loading with different powder charges, swab / no swab between shots, still not consistent. When I switched back to the TC 250 gr Shockwave (yellow tip) with the (yellow) super glide sabots , I was back to a just under 2" group @ 100 yds.

All of that said above, my brother's Triumph shoots them just fine the same BH powder charge as I had. They are easy to load, no issues with follow up shots using BH powder, and seem to have very good knock down energy (observed from deer my brother has harvested), which is why I tried them.

They are worth trying to see how well your muzzy likes them.
0 x
Jeff