BP rifle for my husband~~~

A place for your black powder fun
tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: BP rifle for my husband~~~

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:10 am

Hack wrote:That is a gorgeous rifle.

Taking a buck with a flintlock is an accomplishment, given the delay and the reliability issues.
My lock time and ignition is almost as fast as a percussion and most people can't tell the different . Remember I built the gun and the key is the flash hole position and size , plus most people put too much powder in pan and put the powder too closest flash hole . His lock time is good but if he used half the powder in the pan it would have been faster . It is the flash that ignites the powder in barrel not the flame and flash hole must open and no powder blocking the hole . You will see in video his flash hole is above powder in pan which is correct ,... I hope this make sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA8vZxJslgw
Attachments
Scan1.jpg
Scan5.jpg
0 x

Hack
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: BP rifle for my husband~~~

Post by Hack » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:55 am

Wow! That was hardly any delay. When I shot my buddy's there seemed to be a lot more delay, maybe that was too much powder or my perception. He was also having issues with ignition. Maybe that was because the flints weren't positioned properly, but since I had no experience with flintlocks I can't say. Anyway, as a result, I decided to stick with caps.
0 x