Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New release: Pedersoli Underhammer .36CAL

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

New release: Pedersoli Underhammer .36CAL

Post by PT7 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:32 pm

Writing to find out what any ML shooters here might know about underhammer BP pistols?

I sometimes watch videos published by Cap & Ball. Last March at IWA 2019 in Europe, he talked about a Pedersoli Underhammer which was to be released this year. It's now in the market and he obtained one to do a demonstration video. I just bumped into that video this weekend about this ndsᴉpǝ poʍu ignition pistol.

I enjoy reading about more "unusual" gun models and this fits that category. Would be 8-) to also find out if anyone here might have a pre-owned original or a replica?

If interested, here is the IWA 2019 short intro video done by this fellow (less than 2-1/2 minutes).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoYq4KA8fgw

TIA
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: New release: Pedersoli Underhammer .36CAL

Post by Travlin » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:29 am

They used to sell a very close copy of that pistol several years ago. I believe it was based on a Hopkins and Allen design.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:53 am

over time I've seen pictures of Underhammer firearms .... I was looking more at rifles than handguns, see link below .... I just (pardon the pun ;) ) couldn't pull the trigger to turn loose of the money to buy one

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammer.shtml
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:17 am

Ditto on the old H and A design. Used to see those under hammers around, back in the 70s and 80s when the big resurgence in BP was taking place. I even knew a BP shooter that loved them. Never tried one, though.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:41 pm

I hadn't heard of these before now. Very interesting mechanically.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:47 pm

Jim & Mags,

Thanks for posting the link info on the H&A rifle.
Also the description does touch on some interesting mechanical aspects of this ignition design.

~Simple, e.g. three components in one piece: lock, trigger guard, trigger breech plug.

~Direct ignition into the barrel.
I like this part of the design. Firing might even be somewhat quicker than a cap & ball and definitely so in comparison to a flintlock.

~Having the "cap flash out of view" might be a plus although I'm not overly bothered by that shooting my C&B pistols. But betcha if I shot flintlock pistols this would become more important.

So far no one has shared about shooting one of these underhammers and that would be very interesting. :)
Thanks again, Folks.

PT7
JEBar wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:53 am
over time I've seen pictures of Underhammer firearms .... I was looking more at rifles than handguns, see link below .... I just (pardon the pun ;) ) couldn't pull the trigger to turn loose of the money to buy one
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammer.shtml
Mags wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:41 pm
I hadn't heard of these before now. Very interesting mechanically.
1 x

~Пока~