Plains ML Pistol Competition

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Plains ML Pistol Competition

Post by PT7 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:44 pm

Howdy, Henry Folk,

Here I am again in the Henry BP Guns forum. I introduced my 33-year-old Lyman Plains pistol "find" earlier this week. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7863 The weather cooperated very nicely today, and I got to shoot it for the first time. Even though I don't know this pistol at all, I went a little "nuts" and did a competition shoot. Here is the set up.

I'm on the MLF forum, and each month the forum members are offered a "Members Only Online Shooting Contest." I've watched this for several months, but so far, the required targets to compete have been beyond my ability to see at 25 yards. Mostly too small. But the target selection for November is close to what I regularly shoot at; my homemade, black marked-up white 8" paper plates. Following is the November competition's rules & regs, posted by the Coordinator:

For this month I'm going back to an old stand by. Take a standard sheet of copy paper and draw two lines diagonally from corner to corner making an X through the middle. Aiming spots are ok. Score is the total of the measurements of each shot from the center. Low score wins. Fire 5 shots only, misses count! The shooting distance for this contest is 25 yards. No do-over’s. Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it)(NO Cannons) . Percussion or flintlock ignition. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK. Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc. Because I have to measure these scanned targets will not be accepted, sorry my overseas shooters. Mutilated targets, or targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified. The center of the shot and the placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

All my shooting done at 25 yards, off hand. Before I shot the competition target, I first tried the Plains pistol with one of my infamous 8.5" paper plates. I did adjust to a smaller powder load than what I'm using for my Trapper .50CAL and used 25grs Triple Seven this test. I shot one fouler round ball, then surprisingly I got 3/4 POIs in target!!

OK, I shot my five competition rounds. Like I said, a "nuts" attempt for first time out. This pistol has fixed sights, so scrambled on my sight radius. (You can tell I need more :roll: practice). I chatted with the Coordinator before I tried this, and he said to send in my target if there was even a single hit. You see, I'm actually "in the running." If anyone submits a target with a single POI and the length measured is less than the 5" of my two POIs (nearest is 1.25" and farthest is 3.75"), I'm not at the bottom of the totem poll! ;) That's an honorable goal IMO.

The Coordinator said the Competition is totally designed "just for fun." I got on board and did just that. :D
Following are my two targets. The rectangular X-Marks-The-Spot target goes into the mail on Monday and will be judged in AZ. I wonder how many shooters will participate? Looking forward to the results. Thanks for looking.

PT7
Attachments
DSCN3459.JPG
DSCN3459.JPG (142.74 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
DSCN3458.JPG
DSCN3458.JPG (124.91 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
4 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Plains ML Pistol Competition

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the report. You are ready to defend the Alamo.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:18 pm

Hope you do well in the judging!
PT7 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:44 pm
... The rectangular X-Marks-The-Spot target goes into the mail on Monday and will be judged in AZ. I wonder how many shooters will participate? Looking forward to the results. Thanks for looking.

PT7
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:35 pm

PT, you're an inspiration in the way you've taken up the challenge of BP shooting. I've enjoyed the way you've been sharing your journey with us. Hey, you've even gotten me thinking about trying BP, again. Good for you. Do let us now how you scored.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm

do hope the judging goes well .... tip of my cap for being willing to try
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Yep - very nice!
I may consider go making some smoke tomorrow myself!
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Like the others, I'm impressed with your pursuit and development in this new shooting sport. That's some great shooting, and yes, you are a contender! Congratulations.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Fantastic work, Bob! So happy that it's working out for you and that you're expanding your ML arsenal with good hardware.

Looks like you'll be in good shape with the judging, no matter what! Having a target to send in sounds like half the battle!

Look forward to getting together again sometime soon and comparing notes!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:48 pm

Great work and congrats!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:38 am

Good job PT. I think you might be hooked on Black. Ive always enjoyed shooting it and Im going to do more in the future. Love my Hawkens.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55