Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Never-fired Lyman Plains Pistol

A place for your black powder fun
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Never-fired Lyman Plains Pistol

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:36 pm

Exceptionally nice. The kind of firearm I'd buy as a display piece over the fireplace mantel as a conversation piece (which might be why the original owner never fired it).
PT7 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:16 pm
Greetings, Folks.

I found a pre-owned, never-fired Lyman .50CAL Plains Pistol at my nearby LGS. I wasn’t looking for a second ML pistol; only bumped into this find. Called Lyman today and they provided the production date of July 1986 based on the barrel serial number. That puts this cap & ball gun at 33 years old.

I’ve not tried this pistol yet, and waiting for the weather to cooperate and let me get to the outdoor range. I’ve cleaned it and taken my first pics for this intro photo shoot. For me, it’s always fun to take the pics as well as looking at “show & tell” threads on any forum.

This is the first time I’ve purchased a pre-owned firearm. Hope I found a good-shootin’ one.

PT7
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Never-fired Lyman Plains Pistol

Post by PT7 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Yes, the Trapper has the double-set trigger, and does create a hair trigger for firing. This Lyman Plains trigger does not push forward to act like a set trigger. Rather it is a spring-loaded trigger, or sometimes called spring-assist. The LGS owner said these guns have a very light trigger pull at 2 to 2-1/2 lbs. This design is to provide good firing control and helps with accuracy in ML pistol competitions.
dave77 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:38 pm
Just curious if the trigger on your new pistol is a set trigger. I had seen that your other pistol has 2 triggers, a separate set trigger. My BP rifle has a similar set up but my pistol has a single trigger that you push forward to set (adjustable tension, you can set it to almost so light that a heavy breath could set it off) .
2 x

~Пока~