Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A smokin' blast. Third BP shoot with Trapper.

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

A smokin' blast. Third BP shoot with Trapper.

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 pm

After I got home from another BP shoot this afternoon, I checked my calendar for the next shoot. I'm ready to get back out there! ;) October 10-13, there will be the "56th Annual Indian Summer Black-Powder Rifle & Pistol Shoot." I plan to go, but surely not ready to compete yet. The Men's Pistol Match will have 3 relays, two at 25 yards and one at 50 yards. Total of 25 rounds in 90 minutes. I shot today at 25 yards, so my target below will verify that I'm not near being ready for any competition time! Should be able to do that in 2020.

It was another pleasant day at the FOML range with temps in mid 70s and zero wind. I was able to shoot more round balls today compared to my first 2 range visits. I had been shooting 10 rounds, but was having a lot of fun and went to 15 today. And this was in about the same amount of time. (Not going for any speed record; just better know what I'm doing!).

I increased my powder load from 24 grains to 30 grains. That really got the pistol smoking. With no wind, it took several seconds for the air to clear before I could see my target again. I had one "oops" today. :oops: Left my range finder at home, so it was harder to see my POIs. I was able to mark POIs 1-6 on the P-2 target, but couldn't track POIs 7-15 well at all. So nothin' to do but continue shooting, and just have some great fun.

Shot off hand, standing. Final POI results were 14/15 round balls in target. Couple of good groups, couple of them flying wide, and had a favorite round dead-on bull! Will hang this target next to my other two range targets, and let them show me how today went. I don't think I'll increase the powder load next time out. Not that 30 grains is the sweet spot; just want to see if I can tighten the group size. The pistol shot well at 30 grains. While mentioning how the Trapper shot, it was an all-around perfect day. No glitches at all with the gun. That was very 8-) .

Yup, another side story. One thing I wanted to do was to see if someone would let me at least handle their cap & ball muzzleloader rifle today. I wanted to see what the sight acquisition and sight radius looked like. My hunt worked out, and the fellow to my right had a Lyman 50 CAL cap & ball rifle. I think it had about a 32"-34" barrel length. Very nice-looking gun. Unfortunately, I experienced the same challenge trying to get the sights focused with my tri-focals and head position. The target bull was quite blurred, and it just didn't work out. No different than the Henry rifles I recently let go. At the moment, I don't think a BP rifle is coming down the road my way.

Following are some photos. Same target configuration -- a 20" circle, standard muzzleloader 25-yard pistol target (a P-2). My dis-assembled Trapper pistol right after I gave it a bath. Finally, re-assembled pistol after a Ballistol spruce-up.👍

A really fun day all around! :D I may get to the range on my own before October since I now have key access as a member. But definitely looking to "smoking" again in October at the Indian Summer BP Shoot.

Hope you enjoyed my Number Three Blast!
PT7

The Picture Story

Blast 3_P2 target at 25 yards_3391.JPG
Blast 3_P2 target at 25 yards_3391.JPG (134.13 KiB) Viewed 3302 times

Blast 3_Clean Trapper_3393.JPG
Blast 3_Clean Trapper_3393.JPG (275.34 KiB) Viewed 3302 times

Blast 3_Trapper re-assembled_3396.JPG
Blast 3_Trapper re-assembled_3396.JPG (257.45 KiB) Viewed 3302 times

Blast 3_Trapper re-assembled_3395.JPG
Blast 3_Trapper re-assembled_3395.JPG (253.27 KiB) Viewed 3302 times

Blast 3_Trapper re-assembled_3394.JPG
Blast 3_Trapper re-assembled_3394.JPG (275.33 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
6 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: A smokin' blast. Third BP shoot with Trapper.

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:08 pm

Sounds like an awesome time. Target is looking good. Love that pistol...
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 pm

I think there might be an addiction taking place here. Dont know for sure but it sure has all the indications
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:56 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 pm
I think there might be an addiction taking place here. Dont know for sure but it sure has all the indications
Hey, Al. I have found in the last couple of months that I like BP shooting a lot. I don't believe it is an addiction; rather, a very appealing new shooting sport I enjoy. As I wrote in my Range Report, I cannot get a BP rifle. I already have a quality 50 CAL pistol, which has a lot of shooting still to come. I don't "need" a second pistol either at this time. Since I think the Trapper looks really great in its stock configuration, there are no mods I need or plan to do. I have all the basic shooting equipment I need. The one accessory I got is the blanket pistol case, and it will last a very long time. Trying to keep it simple! ;)

A good goal I've put in place (I believe) is to learn how to shoot this pistol very well. Plan to compete each range visit with myself. Off hand shooting is so 8-) , and to do that well with one-hand only will be the top of the ladder. Today I shot off hand, but used the non-dominant hand to steady the pistol while learning how to smoothly operate the double set trigger. It was interesting to learn at the shoot today that some matches for BP pistol competition restrict the shooter to off hand, one-hand only. A good challenge.

Even though I won't compete, there are quite a number of pistol matches set up for the upcoming mid-October Indian Summer Shoot. I will first do my basic shooting routine that day. But I also want to spend time watching pistol matches. I have a pretty good pair of binoculars I'll take with me for that.

If this turns into an "addiction," I at least know who not to turn to for help to overcome! :lol:
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 am

Looks great, Bob, thanks for the report and the pics!

As far as tightening up the groups, you might consider the old handgun drill of starting close and moving distances out as you get more proficient. 25 yds is a long ways with any new gun/new set-up, so think about 3 yd increments (+/-) between 10 and 25 yds, if the range can accommodate it.

Good practice for your solo visits, where you can focus on the whole package, like trigger control, breathing, etc.

As usual, that advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 am

If you measure shooting success with the fun and enjoyment (and you should), then you are certainly a success in this black powder shooting, PT. We all have to stretch our legs and find the type(s) of shooting that work out best for us and you've done that. Congrats and keep these interesting reports coming. Who knows? May have to try some BP shooting, again.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:18 am

25 yds is a long ways with any new gun/new set-up, so think about 3 yd increments (+/-) between 10 and 25 yds,
Very true and a good suggestion.
Not that 30 grains is the sweet spot; just want to see if I can tighten the group size.
You might want to consider having another person shoot say five rounds loaded by you to see if anything changes with regard to grouping to determine if its the load - or you - with regard to consistency of your groups.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 am

Appreciate all your comments. :D
RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:08 pm
Sounds like an awesome time. Target is looking good. Love that pistol...
For sure, RR.
And this pistol is the coolest "looker" in my gun cabinet!

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 pm
Under advisement, Al. Keeping a watchful eye on it! ;)

ESquared wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 am
Looks great, Bob, thanks for the report and the pics!

As far as tightening up the groups, you might consider the old handgun drill of starting close and moving distances out as you get more proficient. 25 yds is a long ways with any new gun/new set-up, so think about 3 yd increments (+/-) between 10 and 25 yds, if the range can accommodate it.
Mistered wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:18 am
25 yds is a long ways with any new gun/new set-up, so think about 3 yd increments (+/-) between 10 and 25 yds,
Very true and a good suggestion.

Evan & Ed -- The minimum pistol range distance at FOML is 25 yards. No way to set up any shorter target distance there. However, it will work at either HOTR or PK. With the cooler weather, I'd like to get to PK this fall.

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 am
If you measure shooting success with the fun and enjoyment (and you should), then you are certainly a success in this black powder shooting, PT. We all have to stretch our legs and find the type(s) of shooting that work out best for us and you've done that. Congrats and keep these interesting reports coming. Who knows? May have to try some BP shooting, again.
Never imagined it would be such a fun shooting sport, NCG. I've walked around the edge of it for several years. Glad I finally tried it out! It does feel "successful;" decidedly fun. :)
0 x

~Пока~