Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Final bore protector when cleaning BP firearms

A place for your black powder fun
PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Final bore protector when cleaning BP firearms

Post by PJM » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:57 am

On the range ,I usually just fire a cap or 2 to clear the fire channel, will pull the nipple and run dental brush in to channel. When you think of it if you are using round ball or pre-lubed maxi types you are putting grease down the barrel between shots. I will put a patch down the barrel of center fires as I have a mental thing about the pressure difference. I have a different routine for hunting season, if I am using a traditional bp gun, due to losing the biggest buck of my hunting life while firing 3 caps with misfires before he realized where I was. After I had fired a test shot I had a brain cramp and ran a patch down and reloaded for the first day of season, plugged the channel and created the problem. Every hunting season since, I think about that moment. Now I test fire, thoroughly clean and dry and reload a plains bullet with only the lube that is on it. I also switched to musket cap ignition. I also switched back to pyrodex (now use pyrodex select) from 777 as it ignites more readily than 777 or 209. I do use 777 in my inline. The windex solution mix is a great idea. I have come to use isopropyl alcohol in place of murphys as it is a good drying agent. Keep in spray bottle on bench. There are a lot of choices. Use what works for you.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:29 am

OK, Gents. Let's see if I can cobble together your posts with some new options you've provided for me. Since I've just started to use bore butter, this is what I do after a range trip. A thorough soap & hot water cleaning followed by drying the barrel with a hair dryer. Apply the bore butter. My pea brain question is (as specific as I can form it), does the thorough cleaning and drying need to be repeated before shooting again? According to your comments, it does not.

Here's what I learned from you two. A "swab out" is sufficient as opposed to the "thorough" approach. I hadn't heard about the "old school recipe" before this thread, and it seems like a good one. Actually sounds better to me when substituting the isopropyl alcohol for the Murphy's. The drying agent factor sounds like it might be even more effective. I haven't had an in-between shot cleaner with me at the range.....WIndex & isopropyl alcohol 50/50 mix sounds good and I plan to try it out next time shooting.

Yeah, there are a lot of choices. One could spend some lengthy time (and maybe $$) trying them all out!

So if I can get a specific answer to my Q (whether or not it is a dumb one) I'll be good to try this new-to-me approach. Much obliged.

PT7

PJM wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:57 am
On the range ,I usually just fire a cap or 2 to clear the fire channel, will pull the nipple and run dental brush in to channel. When you think of it if you are using round ball or pre-lubed maxi types you are putting grease down the barrel between shots. .......

The windex solution mix is a great idea. I have come to use isopropyl alcohol in place of murphys as it is a good drying agent. Keep in spray bottle on bench. There are a lot of choices. Use what works for you.
Mistered wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 pm
Its always a good idea to give a muzzleloader barrel a swab out prior to shooting regardless of what is used after a complete cleaning.

You want to make sure nothing has found its way inside the barrel and that it is clear and dry.

I typically use an 'old school' recipe of half Windex and half Murphy's Oil Soap.

This also works well as a quick, in-between shot(s) barrel cleaner.
Last edited by PT7 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

~Пока~

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:02 am

If you are using a traditional pistol (caplock) the most important part is the fire channel. Keep that and the nipple clear. If you have a misfire you can always add small amount of powder under the nipple. If you are using the inline CVA pistol the 209 primer has enough pop to ignite charge under most circumstance.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:13 am

PT
PJM said it best. Whatever works for you is what is the best. These kind of threads have alot of different ways of accomplishing the same thing. Keep the bore from rusting. I dont use bore butter nor do I use ballistol. I have both. If I need to choose between the 2 Id use ballistol. I keep isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle in my shooting box. I always swab out with that before I shoot. Then pop a cap or 2. Never have any issues. I also dont clean with hot water anymore I use Hoppes black powder lube and cleaner. I clean at the range before I come home. It works great and is a great patch lube. I can shoot alot of rounds and never swab or lose any accuracy. Works for me
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 am

JEBar wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:52 am
just to ensure they get rid of all the moister, several folks who I know dry their BP's metal parts in an oven after cleaning them with water
During the winter, if there is a fire in the wood stove I have laid the barrel on the top for a short period to help insure it is dry.

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:09 am

Actually sounds better to me when substituting the isopropyl alcohol for the Murphy's.
It's not necessary to have the barrel 100% 'dry' before shooting - actually its better to have it left with a thin layer of something lubricative - and that's where the Murphys part comes in.

It leaves a nice, slick 'sheen' on the barrel and facilitates loading and the BP fouling does not seem to adhere to the inside as much when it is used.

Heck all this talk of BP shooting makes me think I am going to make some smoke myself this weekend !
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:43 am

Way to think, MrEd.
If you do take your BP firearm out, and after the smoke clears, I'd enjoy seeing your Range Report! :) Enjoy.

PT7
Mistered wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:09 am
Heck all this talk of BP shooting makes me think I am going to make some smoke myself this weekend !
Last edited by PT7 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:49 am

Thanks to all for jumping in this thread again, and to PJM for bringing it back after a 5-month hiatus. Appreciated all comments. I've only been shooting BP firearms since mid-2019 and you all have been helpful to my learning new stuff on taking care of my Trapper.

Keep on smokin' those muzzleloaders!
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 pm

I'd enjoy seeing your Range Report!
Will do - been a while since I have shot BP and unfortunately I will be sending my LAST FOUR Hornady .54 Cal Great Plains bullets downrange as Hornady has dropped the .54 and .58 cal (my two calibers) from their lineup and now only produce the .50 cal.

These are/were the absolute most accurate bullets I have ever shot and I will miss them and may have to find something else. I have a couple boxes left for my .58 but they will be gone soon as well.

Sign of the times unfortunately - muzzleloading ain't really growing in popularity.
1 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm

I WOULD LOVE TO SHOOT TODAY ! Unfortunately my backstop is frozen solid and snow covered along with my bench. I too think the hornady plains are the best. I believe lyman has an exact mold for this bullet! We all need more hobbies!
1 x