Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Final bore protector when cleaning BP firearms

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Final bore protector when cleaning BP firearms

Post by PT7 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:22 pm

The debate and preferences about the "best" in cleaning supplies is ad infinitum. I'm wondering if any members of our Forum, who shoot BP firearms, have used either Bore Butter or Ballistol as the "final bore protector? And yes, please keep responses to my inquiry centered on only these two products. I know there are many other choices, which folk use. I just don't want to go there at this point.

Since I'm new to BP firearms, I've joined a muzzleloading forum to keep on learning and ask questions. Right now there is discussion about using Ballistol. Pretty solid opinions in both the "no" and "yes" categories. So I did a search on Bore Butter. A very similar discussion and opinions happened re. this product back in 2004 on the same forum. In fact, some of the current members chimed in 15 years ago! :roll: In the back-then thread, and the current thread, both products popped up.

The nearby LGS fellow who helped me get started with my pistol highly recommends Bore Butter. I'll visit with him tomorrow because I need him to check out my re-assembly after I cleaned it. Had a couple of very minor issues. For myself, I've decided to use Ballistol. It has worked well with my other revolvers as a CLP. I'm about certain he will try to dissaude me and promote Bore Butter.

So thought I'd see what Henry folk think.....appreciate learning about your experience with these two products for this use.
TIA. :)

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Final bore protector when cleaning BP firearms

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:42 pm

we use Ballistol on our BP rifles and single shot pistols .... once they are clean and dry we wipe down parts, including the inside of the barrel prior to reassembly .... after reassembly we wipe down the outside prior to storage
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:07 am

Jim,

That's about the same I did for my first-time cleaning. I understand one thing that is very important....heard it often. Get that firearm dry after washing it in water. That almost seems to be key in lessening chance of rust, no matter what bore protector product is used. Thanks.
JEBar wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:42 pm
we use Ballistol on our BP rifles and single shot pistols .... once they are clean and dry we wipe down parts, including the inside of the barrel prior to reassembly .... after reassembly we wipe down the outside prior to storage
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:52 am

just to ensure they get rid of all the moister, several folks who I know dry their BP's metal parts in an oven after cleaning them with water
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:51 am

Ah, interesting and I'd not thought of that. Similar to the instructs I follow after cleaning my cast iron skillet: place it on stovetop at low temp for up to 7 minutes, then lightly coat it with olive oil. What temp level and how long do your buddies use for the BP metal parts?

CT_Shooter provided me another heat-approach for drying the pistol parts; use a hair dryer. I did that last weekend when I did my first-time cleaning. It seemed to nicely and quickly warm up the barrel.

Wow. Clean a pistol with hot, soapy water -- then dry with a hair dryer or in the oven. Never would have thought.... :roll:
JEBar wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:52 am
just to ensure they get rid of all the moister, several folks who I know dry their BP's metal parts in an oven after cleaning them with water
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:36 am

Right after rinsing my BP barrels I hit them with with compressed air until I see no more water puking out the drum then run dry patches cut out of Cotten cloth down the barrel to grab any remaining water then set out in the sun for a while or lean against my wood stove in the winter. Then I proceed with my final process.

And FWIW drop the olive oil and start using rendered and strained chicken fat on your cast iron.
It doesn't congeal and harden up like olive oil.
Also chicken fat works well as patch lube - the stuff is slicker than snot!
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:02 pm

Non-heat drying. Take one of those new ammo bags you got and fill it with rice. Put your metal parts and the rice bag inside a larger plastic bag. The rice will draw the moisture and the ammo bag will keep the rice away from and out of the metal part nucks and crannys.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:27 pm

I have used bore butter forever, never used the other product, so can't comment. Clean with boiling hot soapy water and air dry, after it cools run clean patches till no longer damp. Swab with bore butter. Wipe down outside with silicone cloth. lightly oil nipple threads and your done.I never saw rust on clean dry patch before next shoot. Clean my in lines the same way. Also use bore butter on center fire rifles for long storage.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:33 pm

Easy question, PJM. Before you head out to shoot again, you clean the bore butter out of barrel. I'd think it would be too thick to leave in and maybe would impact accuracy.

PT7
PJM wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:27 pm
I have used bore butter forever, never used the other product, so can't comment. Clean with boiling hot soapy water and air dry, after it cools run clean patches till no longer damp. Swab with bore butter. Wipe down outside with silicone cloth. lightly oil nipple threads and your done.I never saw rust on clean dry patch before next shoot. Clean my in lines the same way. Also use bore butter on center fire rifles for long storage.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:52 pm

Its always a good idea to give a muzzleloader barrel a swab out prior to shooting regardless of what is used after a complete cleaning.

You want to make sure nothing has found its way inside the barrel and that it is clear and dry.

I typically use an 'old school' recipe of half Windex and half Murphy's Oil Soap.

This also works well as a quick, in-between shot(s) barrel cleaner.
2 x