Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A smokin' blast. Went to my first BP shoot.

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: A smokin' blast. Went to my first BP shoot.

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Marine,
Yeah, I think membership would be fine. ;) Don't know their method of eval and approval. Guess it would have to do with what the RO who worked with me saw when I was on the range.

I didn't mention that membership comes with a key to the range (changed-off front entrance), and same key to access target supplies, equipment in the range shack. The honor system. The real plus to this arrangement is that a member can shoot anytime, any day he/she chooses.

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm
Looks like you had a good day, finally got to put lead on target, and enjoyed it. To top it off, you met shooters who enjoy the same sport as you do. Wouldn't be a point in asking if you plan on joining their group. :D
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:32 pm

Fun is right on, Gunny. No argument there on shooting BP.

I'm totally confortable taking the blame if you got out to the range today.
So...did you go out today shoot again after such a long break from your revolver :?: :) :?:
GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:55 pm
Yep, BP is fun alright. I haven't loaded up my revolver for a couple years, so it's your fault if I get out back tomorrow. ;) Great looking pistol too. I checked the specs on it, and it has a 1:20 RH twist (slow), so you might not have to compensate for spin drift at longer ranges, but if you start hitting on the right side at longer ranges don't automatically adjust your sights, just aim left to compensate.
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Who knew a pirate pistol could be so much fun...no wonder those guys were always raiding and ransacking... :lol:
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:46 pm

Appreciate that, RR. Much, much fun.

I didn't mention anything about how many of the fellows were "spiffed up" in BP-era dress and firearms equipment. It was a "different world" at this range, and a far cry from the armament I'm used to seeing and hearing at a MO state range, for instance. Saw a number of beautiful wood powder horns and leather bags over the shoulder. Looking down the firing line, the ramrods going up and down almost looked like a dance! :lol:

Most enjoyable to watch (and smell) black powder smoke hanging in the air on a cool, humid morning surrounded by mature woods. The sunlight danced on the dew-laden grass as I set my target downrange. (I look forward to the big fall shoot in October. Would love some snow on the ground then---yeah)! Again about yesterday, after a "volley" of shots on the firing line, the quiet was loud!

This is a place I like to be.

PT7
RanchRoper wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:15 pm
Well done PT7! Ya done us proud. That is a real nice range. Your target looks darn good for a first time outing. Way to go...
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:49 pm

Yeah, Jim. I hope so, too. It was a definite first, and really a very nice, unique experience for me. :D
JEBar wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:42 pm
great to hear you enjoyed yourself and do hope you will continue to enjoy black powder shooting for a long time to come
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Excellent. I can see you shopping here soon...

https://www.crazycrow.com/mountain-men-clothing

I would love to attend a rendezvous where these folks are all decked out in their period finest. Very cool. Hats off to you PT for giving it a "shot".
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:54 pm

Al,

I'm not sure how many times this afternoon I was thinking like you, "...Can't wait to go again." How did you predict that would happen? :roll:

I do need you to explain to me your warning about "becoming full addicted." What exactly does that mean to you? And how serious is it really? :lol:
BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:05 pm
I knew you would enjoy it PT careful now you could become fully addicted. I know everytime I go its like I cant wait to go again.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:00 pm

No, thanks partially to you for this enjoyable experience, and new fun-gun to shoot, Stan. I've had an interest in black powder for a while, especially a single-shot pistol. Your acquisition of that gifted BP rifle, and your sharing on our forum on how you brought it "back-to-life," really sparked my on-going and increased interest. You helped me get here.....thanks!! :D
CT_Shooter wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:24 am
Thanks for another great range report, PT7. So glad you enjoyed the entire learning experience and have another fun gun to shoot!
1 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:05 pm

PT on his way to the 2nd shoot... :)
Attachments
2763913.jpeg
2763913.jpeg (64.27 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:20 pm

Appreciate the link to Crazy Crow stuff. 8-)

The FOML club has a raffle going with winners to be announced at the October shoot. Five really nice prizes, and I did get some draw chances for them: A "possibles bag" like Crazy Crow markets; a hand-made, fixed-blade hunting knife and leather sheath; a really beautiful wooden power horn; and a donated period-original flintlock rifle. Each one is definitely not an inexpensive raffle prize. And each person actually lists his preference for his favorite choice. Mine are the way I listed them here. The "possibles bag" is made out of elk leather with a shoulder strap. I'd sure like that to take home.

I don't think my "get-up" was from the BP era. I wore my Missouri-bought bibs. :oops: At least I had the pockets I needed, if not a "possibles bag!" ;)

PT7

P.S. Nice hat the rider is wearing in the picture. I can just imagine being on a horse, riding for "another first!"
RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:53 pm
Excellent. I can see you shopping here soon...

https://www.crazycrow.com/mountain-men-clothing

I would love to attend a rendezvous where these folks are all decked out in their period finest. Very cool. Hats off to you PT for giving it a "shot".
1 x

~Пока~