Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Going to my first BP shoot this Saturday

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Going to my first BP shoot this Saturday

Post by PT7 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:49 pm

I haven't posted for a little while about my learning how to handle my Trapper pistol. This is an update, and it's been interesting.

I did get with the LGS owner for a one-on-one intro to my pistol. He took some good time (about 1-1/2 hours), answered my questions, and I actually did some hands on and dis-assembled/re-assembled it. In addition to basic operations, he shared a lot of what he has learned from long-time experience shooting BP pistols and rifles. So had a good number of tips by the time I left.

After the training, I spent another 1/2 hour or so shopping for the supplies and tools I need to finally get to the range. BTW, that time also included some demo training on how to use the tools, e.g. pointers on ram rod use, loading round balls, cleaning, etc. Also learned where to stop and what not to try and adjust on the gun. All in all, the whole visit was quite good. I learned a bunch.

Last week and this week I've had several phone calls with the president of a nearby BP shooting group, called the Ft. Osage Muzzleloaders. This gent is willing to meet with me one-on-one also when I shoot the first time. However, today we postponed that time, and instead he invited me to a weekend shoot going on this Fri-Sun. He said that will also give me the chance to see what the members do, and enjoy the fun of myself shooting and/or watching other folk compete in several events, including off hand shooting, either one-handed or two-handed. My cup of tea (bold) will be served! So, I plan to get there early Saturday. The end of day for me will be when afternoon temps start to ramp up. Much prefer temps in the 60s-70s. Anyway, I'll bring my Trapper and all shooting equipment, plus the president wants to see my Russian .45 Colt top break. Looking forward to the shoot.

One last thing. The LGS owner told me that the very best way to sight in this BP pistol is to use a bench rest. All I can say is that this is a mega ouch --- a bench rest is my nemesis! He told me that because of the heavy gun, trying to hold it steady enough off hand probably will not work well at all. How to fix this so I can see with my trifocals?!?

Today, I jerry-rigged a bench rest; definitely a "crude" construction, but it stands quite solidly. I have a dense foam-rubber bench rest, which I had always tried to use with my Henry rifles. It always was way too short, and couldn't get my head positioned to correctly use my glasses lenses. It stands on end at about 11 inches. I have a bunch of smaller Bores Store storage bags, and some remnants of their material from older bags. I folded them into a fairly large rectangle, and roped them to the top of the foam rubber bench rest. The bench rest height is now at 16-1/4 inches. When I rest the pistol on it, I'm able to slightly tilt my head backwards comfortably to use my middle glasses lens, and have good sight acquisition down the 9.75" pistol barrel. Also bringing to the range a very low-to-the-ground workshop chair I have. The low chair and high bench rest might just get me through this. The muzzle of the pistol hangs 4" or so in front of the Bores bag rest. I shouldn't have any muzzle "fire" near the rest. Attached is a picture of this jerry-rigged rest....kind of ugly and utilitarian. Just hope it works for me!

Take care, Everybody!
PT7
Bench rest_DIY_3311.JPG
Bench rest_DIY_3311.JPG (191.87 KiB) Viewed 3221 times
2 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Going to my first BP shoot this Saturday

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:00 pm

You'll be wanting a BP rifle soon....
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 pm

good to see you are getting started .... enjoy the process and report back often
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Sorry, won't happen. My last Henry SGC sold this past weekend. There are no more long guns in my gun cabinet. All I'm able to shoot are handguns due to the myriad elder-eye problems I have. It's actually a relief to be sans rifles or shotguns. :)

I still admire the beautiful Henrys our members photograph and share on our Forum, especially the great-looking MO wood furniture. Really enjoy wood. And I know I'll see some nice-looking BP rifles this weekend. For the BP guns, I've found I especially like the old-world look of the locks against dark wood.

I'm content with what I now have.👍
Mistered wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:00 pm
You'll be wanting a BP rifle soon....
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 am

👍
PT7 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:33 pm
... I'm content with what I now have.👍
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:56 am

Enjoy it PT and I know you will. Shooting BP is alot of fun. Dont place to much on how you do the first time. Just have fun. Hopefully there will be some revolvers there and you will be able to shoot one.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:43 am

You're on the right track for shooting any handgun off a bench. Getting low and tucked works well for shooting a scoped rifle off a bag, but not for those of us who shoot handguns with bifocals or our progressive lenses. Get that rest up high enough to see these sights, properly. If the rest thing doesn't work out, even just sitting upright on a chair and shooting the pistol without support will supply a touch more steadiness than a full standing position.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:50 am

Great looking pistol. Pretty sure BP isn't my kind of thing but that certainly sounds like a lot of fun indeed.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:32 pm

The multiple options you provide to all of us about shooting are always helpful, Joanie. Glad I'm on track, because the "dictator" named Elder Eyes has forced me to do something to help myself. ;)

I really think the rest height is almost perfect. The one unknown is the height of the shooting bench at the BP range. But I'll see that in a couple of days. Yes, of course. In a sonic second I'm always ready to shuck the rest and relax shooting offhand. That is the option you noted that I so appreciate. :D

Onward :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:43 am
You're on the right track for shooting any handgun off a bench. Getting low and tucked works well for shooting a scoped rifle off a bag, but not for those of us who shoot handguns with bifocals or our progressive lenses. Get that rest up high enough to see these sights, properly. If the rest thing doesn't work out, even just sitting upright on a chair and shooting the pistol without support will supply a touch more steadiness than a full standing position.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Guess what, Dan? I don't yet know if "BP is my kind of thing." :lol: I've been interested in it for a while now, but only have been reading, which is not even much of a vicarious experience.

But so far, having the pistol in hand, learning about it, and even taking it apart and re-assembling have all been a lot of fun. The hands-on range time will be telling for sure. Another reason I'm looking forward to this part of the shooting sports is because I no longer will be shooting long guns. This pistol, from another time in history, is basically what I consider a "replacement" retirement hobby. And I'm going into it 100% looking 👀 to enjoy it!

Appreciate the compliment on my pistol's good looks. ;)
PT7
dddrees wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:50 am
Great looking pistol. Pretty sure BP isn't my kind of thing but that certainly sounds like a lot of fun indeed.
0 x

~Пока~