Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Replacement Trapper BP .50 cal pistol in hand.

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Replacement Trapper BP .50 cal pistol in hand.

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:54 am

My saga on getting involved in BP shooting picks up again. :)

Per my Forum post last month < http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7127 >, I sent back the first pistol to BGS and requested a replacement. The first one was incorrectly assembled.

Yesterday I received the replacement. In the photos, I tried to mostly display the problem that existed on gun #1, the issue of the barrel fit to the stock. I believe that this gun looks better. Comments are welcome.

PT7

Replacement Traditions Trapper 50 Cal Percussion Pistol
DSCN3296.JPG
DSCN3296.JPG (202.38 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
DSCN3297.JPG
DSCN3297.JPG (160.61 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
DSCN3304.JPG
DSCN3304.JPG (234.46 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
DSCN3305.JPG
DSCN3305.JPG (227.11 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
DSCN3293.JPG
DSCN3293.JPG (196.6 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
DSCN3294.JPG
DSCN3294.JPG (174.34 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
DSCN3295.JPG
DSCN3295.JPG (172.68 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
DSCN3301.JPG
DSCN3301.JPG (162.1 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
DSCN3298.JPG
DSCN3298.JPG (190.85 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
2 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Replacement Trapper BP .50 cal pistol in hand.

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am

My input is worthless, but it looks great to me!

Now let's hear from someone who knows what to look for!

Congrats!
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 am

ESquared wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am
My input is worthless, but it looks great to me!

Now let's hear from someone who knows what to look for!

Congrats!
Ditto.... :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 am

Looks good to go. Now all you need is powder, patches, and balls and go shooting.

Jim
1 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 am

while I'm most certainly not an expert on such BP handguns, I do have a few .... from the pictures, your replacement appears to be much better made .... unless it has an issue that isn't shown in the pictures, I'd fire it
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:32 am

The drum appears to be resting in the lock plate recess snugly with no gap as it should and hammer to nipple alignment is much better.
FWIW when you are ready to shoot you might want to consider using Hornady Great Plains bullets.
They are more expensive than round balls but are a lubed, hollow base style, do not require patching and will shoot much more accurately than round balls. This is not to say round balls cannot be as accurate but accuracy with round balls is typically commensurate with how tight the ball/patch is I.E. the tighter the fit the more accurate.
The hollow base bullets are initially 'forced' into the barrel with a starter rod and engage the rifling then typically slide down the rest of the barrel fairly smoothly and easily.
If you just want to shoot with reasonable accuracy and want to use round balls make sure to use patching material that creates a snug fit but allows for easy loading without having to 'pound' on the ramrod. This will typically require patching material approximately .010 or less depending on the size of the barrel bore and the diameter of the round balls used But recommended ball size will probably be shown in the user manual or on the box.
Typical patch thickness should be from .015 - .018 but this will result is a very tight fit and might be difficult to load.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Appreciate your look-see at the pistol, and comments that this replacement does look better. I was hoping it did.

On the ammo. At the LGS I'm working with on BP stuff, they have in stock and recommended the Hornady 50 CAL 177gr .490" lead round balls. Yes, I know I'll need to use patches. The Traditions manual listed the patches at .015 thickness.
So, are the Hornady Plains bullets a specific bullet round for hunting? Does the heavier weight have an impact on the POI?

I should "see" more answers after I start shooting. Hands on makes a good difference in my understanding of how the gun is shooting.

PT7

Mistered wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:32 am
The drum appears to be resting in the lock plate recess snugly with no gap as it should and hammer to nipple alignment is much better.
FWIW when you are ready to shoot you might want to consider using Hornady Great Plains bullets.
They are more expensive than round balls but are a lubed, hollow base style, do not require patching and will shoot much more accurately than round ball. This is not to say round balls cannot be as accurate but accuracy with round balls is typically commensurate with how tight the ball/patch is I.E. the tighter the fit the more accurate.
The hollow base bullets are initially 'forced' into the barrel with a starter rod and engage the rifling then typically slide down the rest of the barrel fairly smoothly and easily.
If you just want to shoot with reasonable accuracy and want to use round balls make sure to use patching material that creates a snug fit but allows for easy loading without having to 'pound' on the ramrod. This will typically require patching material .010 or less depending on the size of the barrel bore and the diameter
Of the round balls used But recommended ball size will probably be shown in the user manual or on the box.
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:24 pm

So, are the Hornady Plains bullets a specific bullet round for hunting? Does the heavier weight have an impact on the POI?
Typically yes the Great Plains bullets are typically used for hunting but it would be interesting to see how your gun shoots with them
At the distances you will most likely be shooting probably not but POI is not so much of an issue since the gun has adjustable sights.

If you do go with round balls (and your gun will most likely shoot them well) I would start with patches no more than .010 - .012 and see how it loads and shoots. Nothing more aggravating than very tight ball/patch combos that require 'hammering' the ball down.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Jim and Jim,

Yes, looking forward to get to the range and start shooting.

Next week I'm to meet with my LGS guy, who is very experienced with BP firearms. He'll check out the Trapper, and has agreed to give me an intro training session on how to handle it.

Does all things BP in his shop. Sells them, does gunsmithing for pistols and rifles, and interestingly, he stocks every single item I'll need to work with my pistol. Definitely will be a one-stop-shop! Less internet searches (other than for info), no ordering or ship fees, etc. More than I expected.

I'll keep the saga going as best I can in the days ahead.
Thanks again for your interest.

PT7

mlrifleNY wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 am
Looks good to go. Now all you need is powder, patches, and balls and go shooting.
Jim
JEBar wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 am
while I'm most certainly not an expert on such BP handguns, I do have a few .... from the pictures, your replacement appears to be much better made .... unless it has an issue that isn't shown in the pictures, I'd fire it
1 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Sound like a lot of fun coming in the near future for you PT. Nice to have a willing trainer also!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry