Trapper Pistol .50 cal Percussion

A place for your black powder fun
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Trapper Pistol .50 cal Percussion

Post by Mistered » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:44 pm

Very nice and should shoot well.

One thing however in pic # 4, the closeup picture of the lock, the nipple 'drum' not appear to be nesting flush in the recess on the lock (above the 06 in the date) or it is an optical illusion ? There appears to be a large gap between the rear and bottom of the recess and the drum.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:18 pm

Mistered wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:44 pm
Very nice and should shoot well.

One thing however in pic # 4, the closeup picture of the lock, the nipple 'drum' not appear to be nesting flush in the recess on the lock (above the 06 in the date) or it is an optical illusion ? There appears to be a large gap between the rear and bottom of the recess and the drum.
Based on your description of the position/location of the gap, I don't understand exactly where to look.

I've already contacted a nearby LGS, and they do a lot of work with folk who shoot muzzleloaders. Plan to get together with the owner; it's a smaller shop, but they've been in everything Civil War for years. Basically, he'll provide me with some hands-on basic BP pistol training. I'll have to note to him you said there is a gap at this area so he can check it out.
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 pm

DSCN3267 (2).JPG
DSCN3267 (2).JPG (186.07 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:58 pm

PT7,
Consult with a local, knowledgeable resource for an opinion about the pistol's construction and operation, as you've already planned to do.

Nonetheless, it's always good to have reasonable questions for an informed evaluation of concerns as has been presented here. Keep us posted.
Mistered wrote:
...there appears to be a large gap between the rear and bottom of the recess and the drum.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:09 am

Got the arrows, which helped. When I do meet with the LGS owner, will know the point to point to on the gun.

I'm about 1/3 through the instruction manual now. Probably will call the LGS next week to set up a meeting time.
Onward at a slow pace, no race.

Thanks, Everyone, for looking over my new pistol.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:05 am

The drum needs to set down in the notch of the lock. It should be just touching the lock plate. The reason for it is that the plate helps take some of the shock of the hammer hitting the nipple during firing. I have seen the drum break off the firearm from just this kind of misalignment. That doesn't look like an easy fix. The barrel needs to move back and down a bit. Then the drum needs to be aligned so the hammer hits square on the nipple.
1 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:10 am

mlrifleNY wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:05 am
The drum needs to set down in the notch of the lock. It should be just touching the lock plate. The reason for it is that the plate helps take some of the shock of the hammer hitting the nipple during firing. I have seen the drum break off the firearm from just this kind of misalignment. That doesn't look like an easy fix. The barrel needs to move back and down a bit. Then the drum needs to be aligned so the hammer hits square on the nipple.

Jim,

Along with Mistered's picture/arrows, I plan to print that and your post info to take to the LGS. Looking to the possibility that he might suggest the pistol go back to Traditions for repair.

mlrifleNY wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:50 am
I came to the lever action rifle late in life. I have been an avid black powder shooter for over 50 years. I used to shoot with the New York State flintlock team. All I use in all my rifles and 1 lone pistol is 3f. Be carful loading and have lots of fun for many years.

Jim

I wasn't involved at all with firearms or shooting sports prior to 2012. So yes, I understand the "late in life" scenario since I had just retired that year. Found I cannot shoot any type of long gun due to eye issues, but do pretty well with my revolvers. I've been interested in BP, and I especially liked this Traditions Trapper.

So here I go off on a new adventure! Thanks for the loading "caution," but mostly for the wishes to have "lots of fun for many years." Appreciate that because that's the best way to go.

Bob aka PT7
Last edited by PT7 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:22 am

The barrel needs to move back and down a bit.
This is correct.
I am surprised it left the mfg. with the barrel not properly fitted.
Fortunately it's forward so the stock can be trimmed back to fit the barrel.

You should call Traditions yourself and inform them of this and send them the picture.

Also that was my picture with the arrows so blame me for opening this can of worms!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:44 am

Mistered wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:22 am
The barrel needs to move back and down a bit.
This is correct.
I am surprised it left the mfg. with the barrel not properly fitted.
Fortunately it's forward so the stock can be trimmed back to fit the barrel.

You should call Traditions yourself and inform them of this and send them the picture.

Also that was my picture with the arrows so blame me for opening this can of worms!
Ah, yes. :oops: Corrected my original post to give you the credit. :lol: Good job taking Mags off-the-hook.
Still would rather have a can of worms than a fire-breathing dragon messing with the gun.

I think I'll wait to see the LGS here in person rather than chatting now with Traditions over-the-phone, or via email. I'm not yet knowledgeable enough about BP firearms and may not be able to answer further questions they throw back my way.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:02 am

While looking at this closer I don't think it will be as simple as trimming the stock back to fit the barrel as this will alter the position of the barrel hook that the wedge aligns with on the front of the stock. (This is the part that secures the barrel to the stock)
Also when the barrel is moved back the drum will have to be rotated clockwise slightly so the nipple will align with the hammer properly.
I am thinking this needs to be returned and a new stock will be needed for a proper re-fit of the barrel.
1 x