Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Trapper Pistol .50 cal Percussion

Post by Mags » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:09 pm

looks like I've developed a reputation for something....😏
PT7 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:44 am
... Ah, yes. :oops: Corrected my original post to give you the credit. :lol: Good job taking Mags off-the-hook.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:28 pm

Hope it works out for you PT7. Look forward to your range reports.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:55 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:28 pm
Hope it works out for you PT7. Look forward to your range reports.
Thanks, RR. It'll be resolved with patient determination. Of course, help from Henry Folk is great, too.

Note to Everybody:
I made the first step this morning toward working out this issue. CT_Shooter called me early-on. He had another option that I would have never thought of.

Since I ordered this pistol from BGS, and it didn't require the usual FFL paperwork, he suggested I contact BGS to ask if they would do something with a defective product. Chatted with their CS rep, told her the problem, and she agreed with me that I would send her the photo and Henry comments on the issues. She then would check with her supervisor, and call me back.

I was pulling the info together to send her an email, and she almost immediately called me. Without any info from me other than my phone chat with her, all is approved to ship this Trapper back and they will ship another one to me. She sent me a shipping label, I packed the gun, and just got back from the downtown KCKS UPS office.

Sometimes it seems like I've spent more time shipping guns to all points of the compass than I spend time shooting!! :lol:

OK for now. When I get the second gun, I'll pick up my posts again.....hoping to shoot and not ship.

Have a good & safe day.
PT7
4 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Well I am glad to hear they are taking care of it with 'no questions asked'.
Sorry to have opened this 'can of worms' but I couldn't let an obvious problem I saw go unnoticed.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 am

PT glad you got that taken care of. I for one have not been much of a fan of Traditions. Its a personal thing with me. I havent forgot about getting you a pic of the Patriot I will try to get on it tonight.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:21 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 am
PT glad you got that taken care of. I for one have not been much of a fan of Traditions. Its a personal thing with me. I havent forgot about getting you a pic of the Patriot I will try to get on it tonight.
Ready to see the Patriot, Al.

Now ya got me curious, since I just bought the Trapper. You're "not a fan of Traditions," which sounds leaning toward maybe a manufacturer issue? If it is something specific to my pistol, I wouldn't mind knowing what to be on the lookout for. Yeah, I know there are the two-sides-of-a coin. Generally, the Trapper reviews or evals I've found have been 👍. Thanks.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 am

I wouldn't mind knowing what to be on the lookout for.
When the new gun comes in make sure you examine it very carefully.
Make sure all wood to metal fit is reasonably
Tight and any metal to metal fit is as tight as well with no gaps - especially in the area that originally started this!
Make sure the nipple is aligned vertically with the hammer when it is down on it.
Also make sure the lock operates properly with reasonable trigger pull but do NOT dry fire it!
Bring or ask for a penlight to examine the bore.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Mistered wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:44 am
I wouldn't mind knowing what to be on the lookout for.
When the new gun comes in make sure you examine it very carefully.
Make sure all wood to metal fit is reasonably
Tight and any metal to metal fit is as tight as well with no gaps - especially in the area that originally started this!
✔Make sure the nipple is aligned vertically with the hammer when it is down on it.
✔✔Also make sure the lock operates properly with reasonable trigger pull but do NOT dry fire it!
✔✔✔Bring or ask for a penlight to examine the bore.
I did some of above with the first pistol, but looks like a good list. And from the issues I've already seen, will be even more particularly with the second pistol. Some comments on the checked items:

✔This didn't look right to me on first pistol. Was hard to see into the "drum" (correct description?) at end of hammer, but the nipple appeared not to be centered and not flush with the hammer sitting on top of it.
✔✔Never really checked this out. I did read in the instruction manual, as you said, "do NOT dry fire it."
✔✔✔I have a Mini-Maglight LED flashlight with adjustable beam. I used it to examine the bore, and it lit everything up almost as if it were daylight! Could clearly see the grooves and lands to the solid metal breech at the back of the barrel. In fact, it looked like there was some powder residue there. Wonder if this pistol is shot at the manufacturer and they do a quick clean before boxing it?

The BP saga continues.....
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:33 pm

but the nipple appeared not to be centered and not flush with the hammer sitting on top of it.
I noticed this as well - but it was due to the barrel not being fitted correctly.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:26 pm

I was looking at this one but had some concerns about fit & finish... :roll:
Attachments
Four-Shot-Pistol.jpg
Four-Shot-Pistol.jpg (14.17 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C