Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Getting into Black Powder shooting

A place for your black powder fun
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Getting into Black Powder shooting

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:13 am

Graffs is a good place to order BP to PT. I would get 3f for that pistol. I have a brand new never fired Patriot at home. I will get a pic of it when I return.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:13 am
Graffs is a good place to order BP to PT. I would get 3f for that pistol. I have a brand new never fired Patriot at home. I will get a pic of it when I return.
Thanks, Al. Been getting some suggestions from Henry Folk on resources for BP shooting. Will add yours into my list.
I'm looking forward to the photos of your Patriot, too.

BTW, I'm just starting to read about Pyrodex, which is totally new stuff to me. Looks like an alternative to traditional BPs? Sure is interesting...

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

mlrifleNY
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by mlrifleNY » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:04 am

Hey PT7, Pyrodex should work well in you percussion pistol. Keep in mind that all the black powder sub's are as corrosive if not more than good old black. Make sure that you clean it very well. I shoot only black powder but most of my rifles and 1 pistol are all flintlocks.

Jim
1 x
Henry BBB 44mag
Henry 1860
Henry 45/70 Brass

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:31 am

mlrifleNY wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:04 am
Hey PT7, Pyrodex should work well in you percussion pistol. Keep in mind that all the black powder sub's are as corrosive if not more than good old black. Make sure that you clean it very well. I shoot only black powder but most of my rifles and 1 pistol are all flintlocks.

Jim
Appreciate the comments, Jim. So far, I learn something new from about everything I get back in this BP thread. Your above comment, "all the black powder sub's are as corrosive if not more than good old black," is a perfect example. I will keep an eye open for info on that comparison as I figure out what to use.

Yup, I've already heard a lot about a good cleaning for the BP firearm. No problem there for this "cleaning nut." ;)

Thanks.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 am

PT7 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 am
BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:13 am
Thanks, Al. Been getting some suggestions from Henry Folk on resources for BP shooting. Will add yours into my list.
I'm looking forward to the photos of your Patriot, too.

BTW, I'm just starting to read about Pyrodex, which is totally new stuff to me. Looks like an alternative to traditional BPs? Sure is interesting...

PT7
There's some others besides Pyrodex also - Triple7, etc. The main difference between "real" BP and others (besides some chemical difference) is a more consistent grain size. Open up a can of BP and pour a little out next to some Pyrodex and you'll notice it immediately. Lot's of different brand names of all of them. Here's a link: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product ... es/page/2/

Pelletized powders are generally easier to find, but I don't know if you can use it in your gun. I've pretty much switched to pellets for my revolver, simply because they are easier to load and have a consistent volume - I use 30gr, and measuring and pouring it into the cyl, is tedious and messy. I did make a simple loading stand (below) with some scrap walnut and a hinge, but you can buy various designs also.

1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:57 am

PT7 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 am
RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 am
Very cool. Check out the "October Country" website for great stuff related to mountain man era. I still would like to own an 1847 Walker and shoot it BP. I will enjoy reading about your journey with this pistol.

Is it maple?
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:16 am
They are fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. In case you need stuff for it (patches, balls, powder, accessories, etc.) this is my go to supplier:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/
Gunny and RR,

Appreciate the pointers to "October Country" and "Track of the Wolf" sites. Did a quick skim through and checked out the cast round balls they make...an easy starting place since I've learned that the Trapper should use a round ball sized .490". Both suppliers you guys shared offer that ammo. Gives me an idea of cost/100 (will keep on with more comparison shopping). I'll be looking more at these sites as I learn this muzzle loader.

And thanks that you fellows said shooting BP is enjoyable and fun. That's just fine with me. ;)

RR,
Could be maple. Not found any wood identification yet. The marketing write up only says the pistol "has a select hardwood stock." It's one of the things I'd like to find out since I love wood furniture.
Btw, since no one else has mentioned it, you're not limited to round balls. You can also load it with birdshot. You'll need 2 different sizes of wads, an over powder wad and an over shot wad. Both .510 dia. The over powder wad is thicker. I'd suggest any birdshot up to about #4 and of the approx same weight load as the round ball. You can buy shot flasks, or make shot holders out of 1/2" id plastic tubing or similar that you can load with shot in advance, taped or otherwise closed up of course.

Btw, BP can be a expensive hobby if you really get into it. ;)

Wads:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/172/2

Shot dippers and flasks:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/100/1
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:26 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 am

~~~There's some others besides Pyrodex also - Triple7, etc. The main difference between "real" BP and others (besides some chemical difference) is a more consistent grain size. Open up a can of BP and pour a little out next to some Pyrodex and you'll notice it immediately. Lot's of different brand names of all of them. Here's a link: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product ... es/page/2/

Pelletized powders are generally easier to find, but I don't know if you can use it in your gun….I did make a simple loading stand with some scrap walnut and a hinge, but you can buy various designs also.

~~~Btw, since no one else has mentioned it, you're not limited to round balls. You can also load it with birdshot. You'll need 2 different sizes of wads, an over powder wad and an over shot wad. Both .510 dia.

~~~Btw, BP can be a expensive hobby if you really get into it.
Liked the handy revolver stand you built. Any wood products appeal to me, especially hand-made. Nice build. :)

At the supplier link you sent, there was a section listed "Black Powder and Substitutes." I clicked on that, and there were 33 options. Almost too many! As far as the pelletized, I don't know either...yet. Need to get the P1100 instruction manual in hand. And birdshot is not on my radar. Didn't know this pistol could handle that ammo.

Yes, agreed. I've learned in the short number of years I've been into firearms as a hobby, all of it is expensive. The deeper you go after this stuff, the thinner the wallet gets!
0 x

~Пока~

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 pm

PT7 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:26 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 am

~~~There's some others besides Pyrodex also - Triple7, etc. The main difference between "real" BP and others (besides some chemical difference) is a more consistent grain size. Open up a can of BP and pour a little out next to some Pyrodex and you'll notice it immediately. Lot's of different brand names of all of them. Here's a link: https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product ... es/page/2/

Pelletized powders are generally easier to find, but I don't know if you can use it in your gun….I did make a simple loading stand with some scrap walnut and a hinge, but you can buy various designs also.

~~~Btw, since no one else has mentioned it, you're not limited to round balls. You can also load it with birdshot. You'll need 2 different sizes of wads, an over powder wad and an over shot wad. Both .510 dia.

~~~Btw, BP can be a expensive hobby if you really get into it.
Liked the handy revolver stand you built. Any wood products appeal to me, especially hand-made. Nice build. :)

At the supplier link you sent, there was a section listed "Black Powder and Substitutes." I clicked on that, and there were 33 options. Almost too many! As far as the pelletized, I don't know either...yet. Need to get the P1100 instruction manual in hand. And birdshot is not on my radar. Didn't know this pistol could handle that ammo.

Yes, agreed. I've learned in the short number of years I've been into firearms as a hobby, all of it is expensive. The deeper you go after this stuff, the thinner the wallet gets!
I used to hang out on the Muzzleloadingforum, but haven't been active for quite awhile. Never the less, it's a good informative site you might be interested in.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Keep in mind that all the black powder sub's are as corrosive if not more than good old black.
I really like Pyrodex.
I couldn't find any BP locally and was 'forced' to try it and I was please with the results.
My experience is it has a bit more 'power' than BP and an edge in accuracy.
Barrel swabs between shots has been extended by about twice and it seems easier to clean than BP.
None of the means it is any LESS corrosive than BP and typical cleaning needs to be accomplished after shooting!
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Mistered wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:58 pm
Keep in mind that all the black powder sub's are as corrosive if not more than good old black.
I really like Pyrodex.
I couldn't find any BP locally and was 'forced' to try it and I was please with the results.
My experience is it has a bit more 'power' than BP and an edge in accuracy.
Barrel swabs between shots has been extended by about twice and it seems easier to clean than BP.
None of the means it is any LESS corrosive than BP and typical cleaning needs to be accomplished after shooting!
You could make your own. Lot's of not so great recipes on the web, but one of the most important parts is using the right wood for making the charcoal. Pine works best. Don't use the briquets you get from the grocery store - make your own from the dry wood. Making your own charcoal is easy, just have to keep oxygen away from the wood (including while cooling) and cook it. The other ingredients can be purchased (Potassium Nitrate and Sulfur).
0 x