Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Getting into Black Powder shooting

A place for your black powder fun
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Getting into Black Powder shooting

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:14 pm

Been thinking about a different focus in firearms/shooting sports for quite a while. And especially since I've recently let go of rifle shooting. The only Henry I still own is the SGC .22LR model H001TLP, which I have for sale under consignment at my nearby LGS. Two weeks ago my Henry 357 All-Weather easily sold. Anyway, I'm enjoying my handgun shooting.

Yesterday I ordered a Traditions P1100 Trapper 50 Cal Percussion Pistol. The new focus is to learn how to handle and shoot this black powder firearm. Looking for it to be shipped before long.

Until I get the gun and take some photos, here is a marketing photo from the Hinterland web site. Click on the pistol for a larger image:

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/tr ... 52441.html

After I get the pistol, I'll post my own photos along with what I'm learning and doing with this new adventure in shooting. Probably will also enjoy writing some historical stuff about this replica as I read about it. I think it is a very sharp-looking pistol. Note that it has a trigger spur like my 1874 Russian top break has. Fun stuff.

More to come.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Everybody.
PT7
2 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Getting into Black Powder shooting

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 am

Very cool. Check out the "October Country" website for great stuff related to mountain man era. I still would like to own an 1847 Walker and shoot it BP. I will enjoy reading about your journey with this pistol.

Is it maple?
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:16 am

PT7 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:14 pm
Been thinking about a different focus in firearms/shooting sports for quite a while. And especially since I've recently let go of rifle shooting. The only Henry I still own is the SGC .22LR model H001TLP, which I have for sale under consignment at my nearby LGS. Two weeks ago my Henry 357 All-Weather easily sold. Anyway, I'm enjoying my handgun shooting.

Yesterday I ordered a Traditions P1100 Trapper 50 Cal Percussion Pistol. The new focus is to learn how to handle and shoot this black powder firearm. Looking for it to be shipped before long.

Until I get the gun and take some photos, here is a marketing photo from the Hinterland web site. Click on the pistol for a larger image:

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/tr ... 52441.html

After I get the pistol, I'll post my own photos along with what I'm learning and doing with this new adventure in shooting. Probably will also enjoy writing some historical stuff about this replica as I read about it. I think it is a very sharp-looking pistol. Note that it has a trigger spur like my 1874 Russian top break has. Fun stuff.

More to come.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Everybody.
PT7

They are fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. In case you need stuff for it (patches, balls, powder, accessories, etc.) this is my go to supplier:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:33 am

Congrats, PT! Sounds like fun! Almost like reloading, but doing it INSIDE the gun and one shot at a time! Can't wait to hear about it and see it live and in person at the range!
Very cool.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 am

RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 am
Very cool. Check out the "October Country" website for great stuff related to mountain man era. I still would like to own an 1847 Walker and shoot it BP. I will enjoy reading about your journey with this pistol.

Is it maple?
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:16 am
They are fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. In case you need stuff for it (patches, balls, powder, accessories, etc.) this is my go to supplier:

Gunny and RR,

Appreciate the pointers to "October Country" and "Track of the Wolf" sites. Did a quick skim through and checked out the cast round balls they make...an easy starting place since I've learned that the Trapper should use a round ball sized .490". Both suppliers you guys shared offer that ammo. Gives me an idea of cost/100 (will keep on with more comparison shopping). I'll be looking more at these sites as I learn this muzzle loader.

And thanks that you fellows said shooting BP is enjoyable and fun. That's just fine with me. ;)

RR,
Could be maple. Not found any wood identification yet. The marketing write up only says the pistol "has a select hardwood stock." It's one of the things I'd like to find out since I love wood furniture.
0 x

~Пока~

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 am

Very nice lookin pistol, will look good lying on an Orange Henry towel.
What grain ball will you be starting with?
Should be fun, I've got a few BP revolvers and two rifles,
don't shoot 'em as much as I should.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:31 am

I've done a little BP shooting, so glad to share my limited knowledge. That one looks very much like the long discontinued TC Patriot pistol, which were very popular in BP pistol target shooting. Looks like a lot of fun.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:49 am

PT7 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 am
RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 am

Is it maple?
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:16 am

Gunny and RR,

Appreciate the pointers to "October Country" and "Track of the Wolf" sites. Did a quick skim through and checked out the cast round balls they make...an easy starting place since I've learned that the Trapper should use a round ball sized .490". Both suppliers you guys shared offer that ammo. Gives me an idea of cost/100 (will keep on with more comparison shopping). I'll be looking more at these sites as I learn this muzzle loader.

And thanks that you fellows said shooting BP is enjoyable and fun. That's just fine with me. ;)

RR,
Could be maple. Not found any wood identification yet. The marketing write up only says the pistol "has a select hardwood stock." It's one of the things I'd like to find out since I love wood furniture.

Eventually you'll want to go really old school and cast your own balls, and make your own BP. :) A little tip: Before you shoot it for the first time, take the nipple out and put a little dab of anti-seize on the threads. That will make it a whole lot easier to remove for cleaning, etc. down the road.
Last edited by GunnyGene on Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:54 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:31 am
I've done a little BP shooting, so glad to share my limited knowledge. That one looks very much like the long discontinued TC Patriot pistol, which were very popular in BP pistol target shooting. Looks like a lot of fun.
Have you posted on the TC Patriot BP before? If so, could you list the Henry link?
It would be cool to see some pics, too.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:59 am

Vaquero wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 am
Very nice lookin pistol, will look good lying on an Orange Henry towel.
What grain ball will you be starting with?
Should be fun, I've got a few BP revolvers and two rifles,
don't shoot 'em as much as I should.

RP
Not yet sure about the grain. I have seen a couple of .490" ball rounds listed at 177gr, and not seen other gr specs yet. Need to learn what is out there for this pistol, and what might be a good starter.

Yup, plan to show it off on my Orange Henry towel. ;)
1 x

~Пока~