Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Getting into Black Powder shooting

A place for your black powder fun
PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Getting into Black Powder shooting

Post by PJM » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:09 pm

Good luck with it. I assume it has 1 in 66 twist rifling if it is not a smooth bore. If it is rifled, try the Hornady conicals which are specifically made for round ball barrels. They are extremely accurate in rifle barrels with the ball gun twist. Also try some pyrodex select if you can find it. THe 777 is behind pyrodex in ignition ability and is less suited for traditional guns. It is fine for inlines.It will work in traditional guns but it is less ignitable. Based on one article I read black powder is the quickest to ignite, followed by pyrodex. then 777, then blackhorn 209. Musket caps might be in order vs. no.11's. Have fun.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:53 pm

This is my favorite BP gun of 3 I own. With conicals, it will outgroup most of my centifires at 60 yards even with open sights. It is a .50cal TC Hawken in high luster blue, with a 32" round ball twist barrel. It also has a stock with cheekpiece, which is unusual for TC's. It came from the old TC Custom shop when they were still in NH. I have yet to see another like it, though I am sure they exist.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Yep - hard to beat a T/C muzzleloader!

They literally made one of the finest 'production' muzzleloaders with quality rivaling that of some higher end centerfires of the time.

A local forum recently had a member list five T/Cs for sale and a couple went pretty quick if I recall.

An interesting tidbit on T/C rifles is some of the early models had barrels made for them by Douglas Supreme and are highly sought after by collectors. Keep your eye out - if you find a older T/C pull the barrel and check the underside for a Maltese Cross symbol - this is the mark of the Douglas.

The earliest T/Cs had barrels made by Sharon and have a 'Spade' stamp on the bottom. These are highly regarded as well and when the Renegade was introduced in 1976 a few had Sharon barrels and mine is one of them. Apparently Green Mountain made some barrels for T/C along the way as well and have an 'M' stamp on the bottom. Later T/C started making their own barrels.

A very rare T/C is the 'Seneca' model in .36 caliber. These don't show up too often and are very desirable with collectors as well.

Below is my .54 Cal T/C 'Renegade' I restored a couple years ago. It was given to me as an uncleaned, rusted up potential 'junker' but a some slow, careful work brought it back to about 85% and it shoots great - better than I expected actually.
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG (87.41 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
Last edited by Mistered on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:19 pm

I have one of those PJM on my shelf brand new in the box. 50 cal from the custom shop. Its never even been put together. It has some great wood in it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Wow, you are fortunate. That will be worth more and more as time goes by. They are essentially irreplaceable. How do you resist not shooting it. I have only hunted with mine once. I don't want to scratch it. If weather is bad I will use an inline, other wise my TC white mountain is the gun of choice. I am impressed. You may want to insure that TC.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:41 pm

I have some other guns that I shoot when I go. I saw this online and made a deal on it with the guy. I think he needed the money. I dont think Im going to shoot it and see what happens.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Al, Maybe you'll squeak out the time and put that .50CAL together before our August KC Get Together? Seems a shame to keep good-looking wood hidden away.....

Tell ya how I could help out. If you don't want to shoot it, I'll be glad to try it out for you when you get to KCMO. :D

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:02 pm

PT
I have plenty of substitues to take the place of that one for sure. Im thinkin I will bring a Leman Trade rifle in 50 cal thats about 50 years old and looks like new. You can shoot a piece of History.
1 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:50 pm

From what my friends tell me who live near the plant, S&W bought TC for their barrel making equipment. First thing they packed up and moved to the S&W plant in Springfield.

One of my bucket list guns, backing the day was a 36 cal Seneca. Never did find one and have never seen on for sale in all the years, since. Another TC that I wanted was a 32 Cherokee. Did get a chance to buy one, cheap, but just didn't have the money. Real hard to find any of those squirrel gun calibers, now. If I could find one, it would pull me right back into BP shooting in a hurry.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:30 pm

Ive seen them for sale NCG on BP forums I am a member of. Next time I see one I will send you the link if you are interested.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55