Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Getting into Black Powder shooting

A place for your black powder fun
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Getting into Black Powder shooting

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:12 am

in addition to black powder deer hunting, we used to be members of a black powder club that fired once a month .... the way they were setup was to start at mid morning, take a lunch break where they cooked over a fire, in a Dutch Oven, or on a grill .... in the afternoon they would fire trick shots like splitting a lead round ball by hitting an axe blade and breaking a skeet on each side .... to enjoy black powder shooting it usually helps to enjoy (or at the least not to dislike) the cleaning that goes with it .... I finally reached the point where I didn't .... looking forward to following your journey into the world of black powder
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:26 am

JEB, I guess that is one reason I don't shoot mine as much as I used to.
But they are fun,
Splitting the the balls on an axe, never heard of that.
Now I'll have to give that a go. :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:42 pm

That one looks very much like the long discontinued TC Patriot pistol
That was my first thought as well! I looks great and hopefully it will shoot as well as the T/Cs did - which I have no doubt it will.
I have been shooting & hunting with BP for along time - ever since I built my first CVA .45 cal Kentucky Rifle as a teen and I currently have a replica 1863 Springfield 'Zouave' .58 cal and a T/C 'Renegade' in .54 cal.
The T/C was given to me a couple years ago by a co-worker who had it given to him. Unfortunately it had not been cleaned in about 20 years (after shooting) and was pretty well rusted up.
Well long story short but a long and laborious restoration brought it back to probably 90+ % condition with most of the bluing retained. The bore still has some pitting I could not remove but it has not affected it's accuracy as it shoots incredibly well. Standing left of the Henry.
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG (53.47 KiB) Viewed 2949 times
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:30 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:12 am
in addition to black powder deer hunting, we used to be members of a black powder club that fired once a month .... the way they were setup was to start at mid morning, take a lunch break where they cooked over a fire, in a Dutch Oven, or on a grill .... in the afternoon they would fire trick shots like splitting a lead round ball by hitting an axe blade and breaking a skeet on each side .... to enjoy black powder shooting it usually helps to enjoy (or at the least not to dislike) the cleaning that goes with it .... I finally reached the point where I didn't .... looking forward to following your journey into the world of black powder
Yeah, being an overboard cleaning nut, I have thought about cleaning this pistol. Sounds like that will keep me busy with an extended activity after shooting it!

One encouragement about the pistol cleaning came from CT_Shooter the other day during a phone chat we had. Remember he was gifted that original 1864 Springfield Muzzle Loading rifle from his good friend? CT said that the 9.5" pistol barrel will be easy compared to cleaning a 40-inch rifle barrel. I believe him! ;)

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:42 pm

Sounds like that will keep me busy with an extended activity after shooting it!
It can be but being a pistol you can clean all the parts in a sink! Dawn detergent is your friend!
Even a rifle is not SO bad once you find a routine that works and stick with it.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:53 pm

PT7 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:30 pm
Yeah, being an overboard cleaning nut, I have thought about cleaning this pistol. Sounds like that will keep me busy with an extended activity after shooting it!

PT7

one solid piece of advice I was given long ago is when you take a black powder firearm out shoot .... shoot it a bunch .... giving it a good cleaning requires about the same amount of attention after shooting it once that it does if you fire it a bunch ....
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:01 pm

giving it a good cleaning requires about the same amount of attention after shooting it once that it does if you fire it a bunch
This^
One shot or 50 - same cleaning regimen - no shortcuts!
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:22 pm

PT7 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:30 pm
JEBar wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:12 am

One encouragement about the pistol cleaning came from CT_Shooter the other day during a phone chat we had. Remember he was gifted that original 1864 Springfield Muzzle Loading rifle from his good friend? CT said that the 9.5" pistol barrel will be easy compared to cleaning a 40-inch rifle barrel. I believe him! ;)

PT7
Just don't put it in the dishwasher, unless you are on really good terms with your lady. DAMHIK. :?
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 am
Very cool. Check out the "October Country" website for great stuff related to mountain man era. I still would like to own an 1847 Walker and shoot it BP. I will enjoy reading about your journey with this pistol.

Is it maple?
RR,

First, do you have a manufacturer's link showing the 1874 Walker you'd like to have? I'd be interested in seeing the gun.

OK, back again on the Trapper's wood. I've been reading a quite long, detailed evaluation of this pistol. (Again, CT_Shooter sent it my way.....he seems to be an internet "search guru"). Anyway, the reviewer evals the pistol part-by-part. Reading through the paragraph on the wood stock, I found this:

The stock is hardwood, but I can’t tell what kind; however, it is supposed to be Walnut. The stock and component fit is excellent (but not perfect) and everything seems to blend well with each other. The finish seems to be “Walnut” and is excellently applied. The finishing has a satin appearance and the wood has a very nice grain structure.

When I get the gun and start checking it out, I probably will have a Qs list going, if needed, for a call to the Traditions manufacturer. If I can't find anywhere what wood is used, I'll see if they can give me that info.

Onward the search.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 pm

It's a Uberti on Cimarron website. That is 1 big hefty shootin' iron.
Attachments
23f0c7105f58aaf2c872c482030ebe05.jpg
23f0c7105f58aaf2c872c482030ebe05.jpg (44.1 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully