Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Black Powder

A place for your black powder fun
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Black Powder

Post by JEBar » Sun May 15, 2016 3:59 pm

anyone firing black powder in their 45-70 or any other Henry .. :?: .. if so, pictures and comments would be appreciated
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Black Powder

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 15, 2016 10:34 pm

No one?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Sir Henry wrote:No one?
They're waiting for you to volunteer to clean their rifles after they shoot all that messy old stuff.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 16, 2016 7:56 pm

we used to be members of a black powder club and well know what goes into the necessary cleaning .... several articles I've read have discussed using black powder in a 45-70 and I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone who has done so .... or, even better yet who has fired both black and smokeless powder .... that said, I have no desire to fire any black power in ours
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon May 16, 2016 9:32 pm

Also the brass has to be cleaned to keep it from corroding.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:51 pm

Sorry, no way I'm subjecting my Henry to the liability of shooting and cleaning up after BP in my Henry. I thought about trying it in my Smith revolver. For about a 1/3 of a second. And that was before I ended up with a BP muzzleloader, and learned the joys of sluicing the barrel with soap and hot water.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:04 pm

I've shot BP since 1968 and love it . You can clean you black powder guns with Windex or auto windshield washer solvent no soap and water needed . . Then oil it down with ATF oil . 12.0 gr of Unique gun powder will be about the same 70 grs of BP with none of the mess :D :D :D
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:43 am

I told my husband that IF he only owned and shot old fashioned B/P rifles and handguns... it would mean that he would have FAR LESS reloading supplies!

Then I told him that IF he kept his SWEET, smokeless powder, MODERN pistols and only owned B/P rifles that would simplify things some more.

I still would like him to get a cool, pretty, old fashioned but new, black powder ONLY rifle like my old gun store man owned and won championships back east shooting it.

I told him about the KISS method that my late husband and I went by in our lifetime. KISS = keep it simple stupid. Old military saying.

So my MT husband asked me WHY I used to own handguns and rifles that were not in black powder and in 22lr, 22wmr, 9mm, 357Magnum, 38Special and Plus P, 45Long Colt, 30-30 and the surprise gifts to me in 44Magnum/44Special Smith and Wesson Model 29-2 and -3. I told him that it was because I was a Newbie Shooter in the late 90's AND I wanted to try them all out!

My comment and suggestion did not go over well with HIM when it came to his den, various reloading supplies in the insulated - climate controlled garage and fancy desk/bench that I had custom made for him when I built this house.

It was fun while it lasted, the conversation, but I still would like to get an old fashioned B/P rifle for HIM but he would have to try it out size wise in a store to see how it FITS his body, shoulders and hands.

Now if there was a crazy shortage in reloading supplies and ammunition... he would most likely have ONE B/P rifle on hand. We discussed IT if things went crazy all over again and IF he would ever go down - low in supplies - he would buy a B/P rifle.

Heck, my late husband and I even discussed that issue way back when too.

Cate
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:46 am

Maybe HENRY will make a special B/P only rifle!

Cate
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:43 am

Something to consider is using Blackhorn 209, instead of black powder. It's expensive, BUT no need to swab between shots and it cleans up like any smokeless powder with ordinary solvents. It does not corrode like black powder or other black powder substitutes. Have used it with great success in a TC Encore muzzleloader. It can be used in muzzleloaders or cartridges.

Check out their website, http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/ ... gedata.pdf
1 x