Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Old Army

A place for your black powder fun
SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Old Army

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Why did this gun stop getting produced? I lust over them in my sleep, dreaming of modding them and hunting with them. They were the best C&B revolver bar none and it's a true shame new ones aren't coming out.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Old Army

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 pm

Dropped after 2008, so still should be some around.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:30 pm

I've been looking at aftermarket ones, but Ruger really dropped the ball. They could've used single six and bearcat frames respectively for .36 and .31 cal revolvers. I hope they bring these back.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Lipsys did a special run of them. But there asking price is off the charts. Around 1K to 1200. I recently aquired 2 of them with boxes in unfired condition. One is stainless the other is blue. I didnt need 2 but I had bid on the blue one and won it then the stainless came along and I threw a bid on it which I didnt think would fly but it did. They are without a doubt great cap and ball revolvers.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 pm

I always wanted one but the price and reality would intervene and I never actually bought one.
They are beautiful and well worth the price to some, but just not enough buyers to keep them in the model lineup.
I did buy a nice Uberti 1858 that shoots great, is a beauty and at a much lower cost.
That was many years ago. Cap and ball is just not popular in this new tacticool black AR laser sighted semi-auto gun paradigm, not at that price level anyway. I'm just relieved and happy to see companies like Henry building sweet lever actions for us.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Conax wrote:I always wanted one but the price and reality would intervene and I never actually bought one.
They are beautiful and well worth the price to some, but just not enough buyers to keep them in the model lineup.
I did buy a nice Uberti 1858 that shoots great, is a beauty and at a much lower cost.
That was many years ago. Cap and ball is just not popular in this new tacticool black AR laser sighted semi-auto gun paradigm, not at that price level anyway. I'm just relieved and happy to see companies like Henry building sweet lever actions for us.

That's why they should've done .36 and .31 caliber guns on single six and bearcat frames. Could've been a cheaper option for a nifty bp gun.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:12 pm

BigAl52 wrote:Lipsys did a special run of them. But there asking price is off the charts. Around 1K to 1200. I recently aquired 2 of them with boxes in unfired condition. One is stainless the other is blue. I didnt need 2 but I had bid on the blue one and won it then the stainless came along and I threw a bid on it which I didnt think would fly but it did. They are without a doubt great cap and ball revolvers.

I wanna get a pair of stainless ones with fixed sights. I also kinda wanna find a cylinder window for one and build one.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Why did this gun stop getting produced?
Probably lack of sales as previously mentioned. Sadly BP interest has been dying off since its it's peak sometimes in the 70's. Fewer showing up at BP events and annual rendezvous as the real enthusiasts are 'leaving us' and not being replaced by the younger crowd. Oh there are a few taking part but it's nothing like it was it was in the 70's. The attendance at BP gatherings is the writing on the wall. Too bad but a 'sign of the times'.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:12 am

I still enjoy BP alot. In my area they are doing all they can to bring the younger shooters to matches and getting them involved. Its not like it once was for sure but there is some effort being made. I recently acquired a Lancaster 44 inch barreled flinter. I havent shot it yet but I will be getting out soon to play with it. Love those flintlocks.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:42 am

Glad to hear some effort is being made to get more folks to shoot traditional BP. Up here, the in-lines really killed any interest in traditional. Most gunshops no longer even take traditional BP guns in on trade. Just can't sell them.
0 x