Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Reboring in line pistols?

A place for your black powder fun
SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Reboring in line pistols?

Post by SingleAction357 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Has anybody ever rebored an in line pistol into a smooth bore shotgun pistol? Would this even be safe? Kinda seams like an easy way towards a smooth bore howdah.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Reboring in line pistols?

Post by Travlin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:24 pm

It might be a good way to get three hots and a cot.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Travlin wrote:It might be a good way to get three hots and a cot.
You keep it a percussion gun and it wouldn't even legally be a fire arm, ergo the nfa does not apply. That's why I brought it up in BP. Frankly this is the best way to get a smoothbore shot pistol if you wish not to have the ATF shining a light up your backside.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Travlin wrote:It might be a good way to get three hots and a cot.
I should've clarified, this wouldn't be a cartridge conversion and would stay percussion only it would simply be a reboring to a larger bore diameter and no rifling. The idea being sort of an all around survival pistol capable of taking small game all the way on up to emergency defense against something that can eat you. The .50 cal rifled versions can do medium and reasonably large animals but will destroy say a rabbit, with the smooth bore you have a better gun for birdshot type loads that wont spread as quickly as a rifled gun.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 am

SingleAction357 wrote: I should've clarified, this wouldn't be a cartridge conversion and would stay percussion only it would simply be a reboring to a larger bore diameter and no rifling. The idea being sort of an all around survival pistol capable of taking small game all the way on up to emergency defense against something that can eat you. The .50 cal rifled versions can do medium and reasonably large animals but will destroy say a rabbit, with the smooth bore you have a better gun for birdshot type loads that wont spread as quickly as a rifled gun.

fascinating .... a most interesting concept
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:43 am

JEBar wrote:
SingleAction357 wrote: I should've clarified, this wouldn't be a cartridge conversion and would stay percussion only it would simply be a reboring to a larger bore diameter and no rifling. The idea being sort of an all around survival pistol capable of taking small game all the way on up to emergency defense against something that can eat you. The .50 cal rifled versions can do medium and reasonably large animals but will destroy say a rabbit, with the smooth bore you have a better gun for birdshot type loads that wont spread as quickly as a rifled gun.

fascinating .... a most interesting concept
In theory it could even be threaded for chokes to increase accuracy at greater range.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:19 am

In theory it could even be threaded for chokes
The barrel would have to be bored pretty thin to be able to accommodate a threaded choke. This might compromise safety if it cannot be properly tested. I would not bore a rifled barrel any larger than just removal of the rifling to make it a smoothbore. It might be a fun experiment but I would not rely on a single shot percussion smoothbore as a defensive weapon against something big enough to 'eat me'!
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:04 am

Mistered wrote:It might be a fun experiment but I would not rely on a single shot percussion smoothbore as a defensive weapon against something big enough to 'eat me'!

amen .... for me such a concept would be a curiosity .... one that might prove to be fun to play with .... I have both hand and long guns that I wouldn't hesitate to take into territory where dangerous game may be found .... none would be single shots, none would be black powder, none would be percussion, none would be smooth bore ... ;)
1 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:35 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mistered wrote:It might be a fun experiment but I would not rely on a single shot percussion smoothbore as a defensive weapon against something big enough to 'eat me'!

amen .... for me such a concept would be a curiosity .... one that might prove to be fun to play with .... I have both hand and long guns that I wouldn't hesitate to take into territory where dangerous game may be found .... none would be single shots, none would be black powder, none would be percussion, none would be smooth bore ... ;)

Idk, in old colonial Africa and India single and double shot smoothbore bp pistols were often used as ballistic kitty spray. I'm not in Africa, so this is just me scratching the howdah pistol itch, but something tells me a 28ga load of buck and ball would help in a pinch.
0 x

SingleAction357
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by SingleAction357 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:36 pm

Mistered wrote:
In theory it could even be threaded for chokes
The barrel would have to be bored pretty thin to be able to accommodate a threaded choke. This might compromise safety if it cannot be properly tested. I would not bore a rifled barrel any larger than just removal of the rifling to make it a smoothbore. It might be a fun experiment but I would not rely on a single shot percussion smoothbore as a defensive weapon against something big enough to 'eat me'!

I was thinking of going to 28ga, just a slight step above .50.
0 x