Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Black Powder Pistol

A place for your black powder fun
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Black Powder Pistol

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:16 pm

TGR coached me through the same dilemma. I went with Cimarron/Uberti.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

whitelightning
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by whitelightning » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:59 pm

I have a few BP pistols revolver and two handed pistols, .451, .504 mostly. I do have a Ruger Old Army as well was my brothers haven't shot it yet. BP is a blast been doing it for a long time now. Don't know a lot but I will share what I do and learn from you all as well.

The Ruger is a well built BP revolver as far as I can tell. I will probably get some powder in her this spring and see how she does.

Most outdoor ranges I go too allow BP rifle pistol on the line, you might get some guys that gag or give ya a look or two.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel 41 Mag
NRA Life Member

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:28 am

I forgot about this thread until you bumped it, whitelightning.

I never did end up buying a black powder pistol. Saw some great deals around the holidays but didn't pull the trigger. Still considering it though...
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 am

Revolver add a little extra skill to reload . Here is a few of my Black Powder gun below . I use a cylinder loader tool below make them super easier too load and super accurate too for about $20 . Also I made a loading stand to hold my guns too . Remember I'm selling all my gun .

2 x

ssonb
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by ssonb » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 am

I have to agree with BigAL look for a Ruger old army I own a three Italian BP pistols but none of them can hold a candle to the rugged build and ease of use the Old Army has...And BTW they are not hard to clean...a few more parts but not hard.
2 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:03 am

I had several revolvers, sold most but kept my Uberti 1858 Remington. It was a special order by Cabela's, they had a few of them built then I never saw any just like it again. 5 1/2" Bbl, Goncalo alva grips, it's regular gun steel but has a brushed nickel finish. It is more accurate than I am and shoots very well. I was just using it for my tv gun earlier tonight. Instead of a fidget spinner I have this beauty to play with.
I have run out of FFF and have to drive 100 miles round trip to buy some more. BP is hard to find around here.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:19 am

Conax wrote: Instead of a fidget spinner I have this beauty to play with.
That was funny Conax :lol:

What are those, something you're suppose to have if "you think" your IQ is over 150? :roll:
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:45 am

Henry88 wrote:
Conax wrote: Instead of a fidget spinner I have this beauty to play with.
That was funny Conax :lol:

What are those, something you're suppose to have if "you think" your IQ is over 150? :roll:
They are those ball bearing toys the kids all carry around. They flick it with a finger, it spins and somehow this is deemed "fun".
Modern chilluns don't know what fun is.
2 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Oh, I remembered another black powder story- I had a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum, real nice double action revolver.
After working up smokeless loads my brother suggested I could try a few loaded with FFF, it would be like the olden days, he said. Always ready to screw things up, I rolled about 30 rounds of hard cast bullets with all the FFF the brass would hold, gave em a fair crimp and went back to the railroad tracks.
Man the smoke was a roliin, we had a ball until... :oops:
It started to get stiffened up and was hard to cock. I put an end to the experiment and took it home to clean.
I ended up totally disassembling the gun to get all the crud out of there and vowed never to do stupid stuff again until the next time at least. That thing was shooting hard, folks. About like a full house .45 colt.
He loved it, but it wasn't his $600 gun. :evil:
If you're going to make a lot of smoke, use something like this:

Look at the fitment and whatnot, she's a purty girl!
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:19 am

I shot the 1858 Remy 44 cal copy in the big matches for years . The pic below is my 36 cal Remy and it is not as accurate as my 44 . The pic below is the 1st 12 rds and only 12 rds I ever shot in it . A perfect score is not bad for 1st time out .

1 x