Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bore honing/polishing?

Tell us how you do it
henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Bore honing/polishing?

Post by henry22 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:14 pm

Hey guys, haven't been here in awhile. 2 questions if anyone can help, and both questions apply to each gun.

1) I have a Remington 870, 12 guage on loan. Had never been cleaned, stripped it, cleaned every part, even refinished the stocks. Shoots perfectly, but what a PITA to clean. No matter how many times I ran the bronze brush (with Hoppe's), then the brush wrapped in cotton/canvas (old curtain patches), the patches became less black, but it's as if I can't get all the fouling or lead out. I ran the bronze brush back and forth inside the bore, wrapped tightly with canvas patches, and still, I can't get it them to come out clean. The tighter the wrapped bore brush or mop was in the bore, the more came out - but always with black streaks on the patches.
Does the 870 need to be polished with JB compound/Kroil with stainless steel wool?

2) My Savage Mark 2 (with a pristine cleaned barrel) had ejection issues yesterday with the Federal BYOB 450 round in the plastic jar. I've never had any extraction/fail to eject issues with this rifle, except while using CCI Standard Velocity (I think the rim on that particular cartridge is a hair thinner than the Federal.

But, yesterday after a firing about 30-35 rounds, I noticed the next few shots wouldn't eject, the shell casings were stuck in the chamber. A few times, I pointed the barrel up, and gravity helped to extract them. Until the last shot. I didn't have a scratch awl with me to pry it out, so I had to call it a day.

Is this extraction issue with the Mark 2 related to the extractor claw? Or is it the chamber?

Thanks guys.
0 x

brettitt41
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Bore honing/polishing?

Post by brettitt41 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:16 pm

1. I wouldn't use SS wool, maybe copper wool or the tornado brush from Hoppes. Yes it sounds like it needs a serious cleaning.
2. My thought is if some of the cases fell out when tipping the barrel up it's not a chamber issue but an extractor issue. Check the extractor hook make sure its sharp and the spring is still strong. Try taking the bolt out and placing a fired cartridge under the extractor and see if it holds it tightly.
1 x
" Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Henry H010 X

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Bore honing/polishing?

Post by henry22 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:11 pm

I didn't mention. That when I got the Savage home - after the stuck casing. I cleaned the bore, but this time scrubbed the throat area with a bronze brush soaked in hoppes, then a bunch of patches, the bronze brush again, and then reamed the bore back and forth about 20 times with hoppe's on a bore mop.

After clean patches were put through, and an oiled patch was run through, the original stuck casing ejected flawlessly several times. So how do I determine whether it's the chamber/throat area, or the extractor claw?

It's never happened with this brand of ammo before, and yesterday, it happened about 6-7 times in a row, after only shooting about 30 rounds.
— Again, thanks.

Forgot to ask you, IF I wanted to polish the 870 chamber, could I use Wenol Polish?
SEE: https://www.eshine.ca/collections/wenol
0 x