Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

copper problem

Tell us how you do it
leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: copper problem

Post by leverjc » Sat May 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Thanks for all the input. I have shot this rifle 5 times now and totally cleaned it 4 times after shooting.. It takes me about 2hrs to clean it completely. I am a firm believer in fire lapping mass produced barrels that do not shoot as they should.. My accuracy is great at first but it seems to get worse as the round count progresses. This gun was purchased for the sole purpose of Lever Silhouette where I have to fire at least 40 rounds without cleaning.

My bore scope finally started working, I found out one of my plug ins went dead and it wasn't my scope. After looking at most of the bore it is obvious that the barrel needs to be replaced. There is chater through a lot of it and pits from machining through out. I will be sending back to Henry and hope they will make it right.
2 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat May 16, 2020 9:33 pm

leverjc wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:10 pm
My bore scope finally started working, I found out one of my plug ins went dead and it wasn't my scope. After looking at most of the bore it is obvious that the barrel needs to be replaced. There is chater through a lot of it and pits from machining through out. I will be sending back to Henry and hope they will make it right.
That is discouraging.... do you have any borescope pictures to share?

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sat May 16, 2020 10:13 pm

Tried to get pics down loaded to my computer but couldn't make it work. I am tech illiterate but I will give it another try tomorrow.
0 x

Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jerrysea » Tue May 26, 2020 9:04 am

I have what appears to be copper residue on and near loading gate on my h012mx. I am not sure about cleaning the area with a copper cleaner. Some copper cleaners also remove plastic. I believe just inside the loading gate is plastic.
Any experience or suggestions on removing this safely.
0 x

Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jerrysea » Tue May 26, 2020 11:46 am

Jerrysea wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:04 am
I have what appears to be copper residue on and near loading gate on my h012mx. I am not sure about cleaning the area with a copper cleaner. Some copper cleaners also remove plastic. I believe just inside the loading gate is plastic.
Any experience or suggestions on removing this safely.
After writing this, I thought about ballistol. Read the can, removes traces of copper. Look up if safe for plastic. Yes for oil resistant plastic. Use it. It worked.
The only thing showing is a little wearing of finish on the door to the loading gate. :)
2 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu May 28, 2020 8:33 pm

IMG110101-001842F (2).JPG
The chatter along this groove is like this for most of the length of the barrel. I believe this is the major cause of my copper build up problem. I don't think this will be taken care of by fire lapping or shooting a lot. I wish I could give you all a better pic but my bore cam is fairly cheap and the stored pics just don't give much clarity. It is hard to see the depth of the chatter but it is major.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 28, 2020 10:05 pm

leverjc wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:10 pm
My accuracy is great at first but it seems to get worse as the round count progresses. This gun was purchased for the sole purpose of Lever Silhouette where I have to fire at least 40 rounds without cleaning.
leverjc wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:33 pm
The chatter along this groove is like this for most of the length of the barrel. I believe this is the major cause of my copper build up problem.

completely agree that one needs to go back to Henry
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri May 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Does anyone know if Henry fully manufactures these barrels, including the rifling? Or do they buy rifled blanks from a barrel manufacturer?

I have never understood why they seem unable to do special runs of guns, with different barrel lengths and profiles. I want a Single Shot in .327 Federal with a light 18” threaded barrel please....

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat May 30, 2020 8:02 am

They make their own barrels, John. This is a link to a factory tour courtesy of Plinkster22. Interesting peek inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMNLa5wAsXM
John E Davies wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:55 pm
Does anyone know if Henry fully manufactures these barrels, including the rifling? Or do they buy rifled blanks from a barrel manufacturer?
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sat May 30, 2020 8:52 am

After looking at my barrel I wish they had done more than a a safety and function check. Good video though.
0 x